howl

There wasn't a lot of sound that night. There seemed to be an unspoken necessity for silence among all of the creatures that inhabited the great, large forest that took up most of the land. It wasn't an average forest either, the trees monstrously huge, twisted and gnarled and yet breathtakingly beautiful. Moss littered the roots that surged up and out of the rich soil, ferns and bracken hugging the edges of faint trails made from prey and predator alike. Normally, the forest would be alive with critters of all shapes and sizes- but as the moon, full and glowing soft silver, shimmered its light onto the trees and forest floor, nothing dared to stir.

All except one. She made not a sound, though she wasn't deliberately trying to soften her paws when they pressed against the ground. Her head hung low, an unnatural position for one of her ranking, of her stature within the bounds of the forest, and her tail was sweeping low as well. The familiarized trademark of hers, the floppy left ear, was drooping more than normal, and the right was pulled back against her skull. The wolf, for that was what she was, seemed to be drained of spirit, though she didn't lack energy. Her brown and copper coat bristled, her pelt twitching every other step. If one didn't know what had transpired within the past few hours, they would have thought she was trying to contain months of supressed energy.

The trail she was following was rarely used. Her silver eyes were downcast, trained on the ground beneath her. There was no need to pay attention to where she was. She was in no danger, and she knew where she was going. There was a reason the trail was barely existant; it wasn't traveled upon lightly. She pulled her right ear back more as a thought crossed her mind, and a soft growl rumbled in her throat. It lingered for a few seconds before she supressed it, and with a huff, she pressed on, quickening her pace.

The visibility of the trail began to dwindle until it appeared, to any normal passerbys, to be nonexistant. Yet the wolf kept walking, seeming to slink in and out of the surreal light of the moon, the silver shine making her pelt sparkle- hinting at something a bit mystical than the norm of other wolves. She didn't seem to make notice of whether she was stepping in darkness or light, however, and she never faltered from her path. Time matter not to her, and after she had exhausted her troublesome thoughts, she found herself stepping up to the edge of a large cliff, and her body tensed upon the realization.

A breeze stirred from somewhere within the forest, weaving through tree trunks and fauna, curling around the tree line and drifting up to where it swirled and carressed the she-wolf. Her fur was gently tugged and tossed with it, the spirits letting her know she wasn't alone. And though she knew they meant well, it didn't shake off her feeling of seclusiveness. She let her eyes drift close, and by the time she forced them open again, her head had lifted until her muzzle was pointed directly at the full moon, hanging peacefully in the sky.

The silence was broken in the early chills of the morning with a sound that wrenched any soul whom had dared to try and sleep out of their slumber and into awakefulness. It could be just the eerieness of a wolf's howl, or the sharp pang of loss that was sure to stab at any creature's heart if they were to listen to her song. It carried out on the breeze and stretched out across every inch of the forest, not letting one sole inhabitant escape the sound. Every species was drawn out of its home, creeping among the trees until they caught sight of the silhouette of the wolf standing atop of the tallest point in the forest. They watched her for the full duration of her song if they were able, tears in many of the creature's eyes as they listened.

The loss of a wolf's Mate was the saddest experience the Forest ever goes through. And even though her lovestory was a little... unorthodox, even to this strange, twisted land, it was the saddest song they had ever heard in all of their three thousand years of recollection.