Scars From Stars (Part 1)

I still remember how the sky was painted dark just to show how the stars shine in the darkest of the night and how they light up our lives. It was a very unforgettable moment and most of all, a memory.

It was the first time that I, Mitsui Horie, had talked to someone when I visited the rooftop and unexpectedly, it was with the most sullen girl in school and the Book Club President, Kawahira Kirei. It was my first encounter with her and I thought she’d be feeling fine and comfortable with me but…

“P-P-P-President?!” she said with a blushing and shocked face.

“Huh? Oh, you’re here, too, Ms. Book Club President,” I replied calmly with a smile.

I didn’t intend to shock her. It’s just that we encountered each other in the most unexpected time of the day, lunch.

“I-I’m embarrassed with-with what you addressed me, Mr. President,” she said with the same expression.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Then, call me by my name, too, Kirei,” I said and smiled.

“Mi-Mi-Mit-sui… is it okay now?”

“It’s great. Don’t feel embarrassed anymore, okay?”

“Y-Y-Yes.”

I tapped her head lightly and smiled.

That was just a short moment that started everything; a moment that I never knew would change my life.

_________________

Besides knowing Kawahira Kirei, I was fond of stargazing. Stargazing defined my life a lot. It made me realize so many things. Most of all, because of it, I knew I can love someone.

One evening, I was on the rooftop doing my stargazing thing then, somebody locked the rooftop door.

“Uh-Oh! Please give me five more minutes. I’ll just finish this.” I said.

“Mi-Mitsui?” I knew it was a familiar voice.

“Kirei?”

“Y-Yes?”

“Come with me. I’ll show you something beautiful.”

“I-I can’t.”

“Why can’t you?”

She was so silent that I can’t take it anymore. So, I went to see and sat beside her on the stairway.

“Is there something wrong?” I asked.

“I-I am- I am just afraid.”

“Afraid? W-Why?”

“Because --- I-I want to go home. P-P-Please lock the rooftop door. I-I-I’ll be going.”