Colors Start to Fade

"I don't wanna be famous! I don't wanna if I can't be with you!" Ross is nearly shouting at you, a quiver in his voice and tears in his eyes. You are crouched down against the wall as you stare up at the boy you love, who is falling apart in front of you.

"You have to keep it down or your parents will wake up," you say, trying not to fall apart yourself.

He sighs and nods, running his hands through his hair. "I know. I'm sorry, it's just ... I didn't think things would end up like this ... I don't know what to do," he says, eyes lowering.

He paces now, his hands still in his hair. You stand up and meet him, and he stops in front of you. You grab his hands and hold them in both of your small ones. You look him in the eyes. "Its just one tour Ross, we can figure something out," you say.

Your voice is hopeful but your heart is heavy. Ross tries to find confidence in your tone but he's left with nothing. You see tears slipping down his face, which makes new ones form in your eyes.

"It's just so hard," he chokes, looking away from you. "It will be six months. I feel like it's not fair to you to have to wait for me. It's not fair at all."

Your eyes betray your sturdy facade as tears spill from them. You wipe them away quickly. "Six months isn't too bad," you try to laugh but it comes out as a sob. "I love you so much, it would be worth the wait." You secretly wish it would be worth it for him too. He turns from you as tears fall from his eyes.

He looks up and throws his hands in the air, sarcastically chuckling. "I don't even want to go," he says, "I'd rather stay with you if I had to choose." He sighs deeply, his fists clenching tightly together. "But it sucks because I can't. I can't choose and I hate it," he breathes.

It looks like he is ready to turn around and punch a wall.

You smile weakly, knowing that Ross really does care about you a lot. "I wouldn't let you do that Ross," you say, "I wouldn't let you let all of your fans down." As much as you love him you wouldn't let him ruin his career just to be with you. "And most importantly, I won't let you give up your dream for something as silly as being with me. This is your dream Ross," you say lovingly.

"Silly?" he shouts back.

Well that wasn't supposed to happen.

"Being with you is not silly okay." He's trying to keep his cool, his voice isn't raised but there is a furiousness behind it that shocks you. "You're everything to me!"

His face is red and you're worried he's too angry to hear you out. You take a break from this back and forth arguing and you walk closer to him. You put your arms around his torso and lay your head on his chest. You feel the tension in him ease almost instantly as he wraps his arms around you.

The two of you just hold each other as you silently cry into his chest. You can feel him shaking against you as his uneven breath hits your neck, and your heart hurts just knowing what the two of you have become. You wish you could go back to when you were happy, and there were no worries. Back to when you and Ross spent every minute possible together. But you know things will never go back to the way they were, you had to face the future. You knew it would be tough, but you had to make it work. You sigh and hold onto him even tighter, afraid that he'll slip away any second.

"What are we going to do Ross?" you finally look up at him, wiping your eyes with the heel of your hand.

"I don't know," he says simply, not looking at you. "I want to make this work, I do. But I don't know how. I don't know if I can handle being without you for that long. I'll miss you too much."

You've never seen him this vulnerable before and it's killing you. You want to stay with him and try to make things work over the next six months, but it will be so hard not seeing each other. The alternative isn't much better, and cutting things off before he leaves will be even harder.