F is for fear

Silence, it surrounded me breathing down my neck and creeping into my skin. I was shocked it still existed under the constant humming of hungry bodies.

The silence made me feel like everything and nothing at the same time. Because their always seemed to be a chain reaction with the even the smallest move I made. Maybe by I not moving the whole world would forget to exist for a while.

Hah, wasn't that wishful thinking.

I realized I was not the only thing left in this abandoned McDonalds. The thought of this made me panic. Although I never seemed to be alone. Well I guess that's a matter of opinion, science says if your heart does not beat you are not alive. So my company, according to scientist, was not alive.

The noise had rang through my ears almost methodically. A constant clanking about three seconds apart. The first clank had shattered my dream of stillness. The second made my heart speed up. The rest drove my curiosity up. Maybe this noise came from a body in which the brain was not rotting.

That would be hopeful thinking and in this new rotten world it could be blinding and dangerous. Although, I could not ignore the fact it was a sound very seldom made from the brainless.

I decided I would find out who or what was making the mysterious noise. Actually it was more of a mental push rather then a decision. If I was any weaker, I would have let myself rot away in this spot.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

The crouch I was in did no justice to my legs, so immediately after straightening up I fell back down to my butt. I froze in panic that I had made to much noise, the blood thirst in the Lifeless hyped up their senses.

I squeezed my eyes in an attempt to disappear, but to no avail the sounds previously made stopped abruptly. I sucked in a deep breath and quickly but quietly put my hand to my hip.

The handle of my blade brought me a small amount of comfort. I drew the dagger and moved to a position that I was hidden but could still see. The shadow of the counter was currently my friend.

I heard footsteps quietly coming towards me, they seemed confident but of course that made no sense.

I needed to meet the Lifeless, catch it of guard. Kill it before it knew what was happening, so I began to creep forward. I raised my blade in front of me. I calculated where the steps were coming from and where the were going.

I knew as soon as I rounded the corner I would come face to face with the body. So I mentally prepared myself and whispered "Here I go," and lunged forward, hoping my blade would meet rotting skin.