Chapter Thirty-Three: GOODBYE

Zacchary

Chances and I were staying at the hospital for almost a week now. Lola Carmella was really sick. She's no longer talking to us. If she wouldn't be sleeping, she'd just stare at the ceiling or at the wall blankly. Almost everyday too, Chances would cry watching her.

"Chan. You don't need to go to work if you want to stay beside lola. Your 'boss' should understand."

"Zacc, hindi ko pwedeng iasa sa'yo lahat. Sino na naman ang magbabayad ng hospital? Ikaw na naman—"

"Chances, I am your husband and it's my obligation to assist you morally or financially."I explained which she seemed not to get.

"You know what we are Zacc."she answered making me silent.

She walked past me swiftly. When I have regained composure, I rushed outside to chase her but she already has taken a cab. Hinayaan ko nalang muna siya at dumiretso na sa hospital para bantayan si lola.

"Hijo."she uttered making me somehow hopeful and glad.

"Lola. Tatawagan ko si Chanchan."

"Hindi na apo."mahinang tugon niya. "Sac, aalagaan mo ang apo ko gaya ng ipinangako mo noon."wika niyang nagpadurog ng puso ko.

"O—opo lola."

"Alam kong mahal niyo ang isa't isa. Masaya na akong natitiyak ko 'yon bago ako mawala. Mahal na mahal ko si Chanchan."

"Lola. Wag na po muna kayong magsalita. Tatawagan ko lang si Chanchan. Gustong-gusto kang makausap no'n."lumuluhang saad ko rito.

Hindi na nga siya nagsalita. Nakahawak lang siya ng mahigpit sa kamay ko. Chan, please pick up. Kinabahan na lamang ako nang bumitaw na si lola sa paghawak sa'kin.

"Nurse! Nurse!!!"I panicked as I called their attention.

"Chances, please answer the phone!"I murmured while I kept dialing her number.

"Zacc?"

"Babe. Si lola. Please be here."

"Ano'ng nangyari kay lola?"

"Chanchan, pumunta ka na dito!"natatarantang sambit ko.

She then ended the call. On my end, I couldn't calm myself while the medical team is trying to revive lola. I walked to and fro until the doctor announced what I wished I did not hear.

"Time of death, 4:37."

I honestly don't know what to do. And as far as I can remember, I stood like a statue for minutes even until Chances arrived.

"Zacc? Si lola?"

I couldn't bring the right words to say so I just shrugged.

"No! Hindi 'yan totoo!"I grabbed her hand but she shoved it. She ran towards lola and hugged her while she cried her heart out. "Lola! Lola, hindi!!! Lola. Bakit hindi niyo ako hinintay? Lola..."

"Babe."

"Bitiwan mo 'ko."bulyaw niya nang hawakan ko siya. "Lola!!!"

With constricting heart, I watched her cry her heart out. Afterwards, she found something in her grandmother's left hand. It was a picture of her, the little Chanchan that lola Carmella adored so much the last few days.

"Lola... ba't iniwan niyo na po ako? Sabi ko diba? Natatakot ako... Hindi pa ako handa. Na hindi ko pa kaya. Lola, ayokong mag-isa."

"Chan..."I uttered while I embraced her from behind. "Baby, I'm still here."