1 || Coffee talk

Song of the day: Coffee- Miguel

Chapter One-

10:00 Business Apt/ FirstDay.

I place my phone back down on the vanity table after swiping away the reminder and the soft background music comes back to life. I smile excitedly to myself, applying an even layer of gloss onto my lips before standing and straightening my skirt.

On my way to the kitchen, I grab my bag and my brown envelope off the sofa. Jason, my agency, recommended that I bring some sort of personal portfolio so that it's easier to secure my place as the new secretary at Giovanni Woods Business. It's not exactly my idea to work in this type of place because it covers everything apart from what I really want to be.

"Morning Bella, you look very smart, dear." My mom welcomes me into the kitchen with a plate of scrambled egg and toast.

"Thanks Ma, I don't have time to eat though I have to catch the bus before it leaves."

"Okay" she takes my plate and starts to eat from it, "you really shouldn't have to do this Rosabella, I am the one who is supposed to be supporting you."

I smile at her. My mom is the strongest, most selfless and loving person I have ever met and ever since my Dad left she has thought about nothing but me. I place a quick peck on the top of her head before leaving.

"Siamo una famiglia, ci sosteniamo a vicenda".

***

"Jason you have to help me out, I really need this cash." I plead quietly in the small boxed office of the Job Agency. I've been here for an hour trying to find a job that actually paid a decent amount and didn't take years for me to get to.

"Hey I am seriously trying my best but if you need a job you can't be picky!" he sighs. I cross my arms and pout, all I asked for was something convenient and at least requested a degree in business and fashion. What's the point of studying them if I don't use them, right?

His computer receives an update and he clicks on it. He hums in thought before looking up from his screen to me. I raise my eyebrow responsively. "Okay and?"

"Well there's an opening at the Woods Business as a secretary. It's only a bus to town and a couple minutes walk, need your qualifications and they're desperate."

"Perfect" I smile, followed by a frown . "What do they do?"

"They're a multinational corporation so that means it's a big variety of business' , good pay, but you also cannot screw up. The owner of the company takes interviews and he's known to be really tough."

"Thank you so much" I stand up and take the information from him before practically dancing my way out of the place. I finally have a chance to help my mom and maybe myself.

***

I get off the bus and quickly check my phone for the time 9:45 am. I walk up to the coffee shop down the road and order myself an iced latte just to freshen myself up. I decide that I should text my mom that I'm about to go in before she interrupts something so I lift the bag strap off my shoulder carelessly, only for me to hit a person walking by.

I freeze. The man looks down at his shirt as the white button down slowly begins to become less...white. He holds a now empty coffee cup in his hand, before wiping his face with the other.

"I didn't see you coming, I'm so sorry!" I hand him a tissue. His eyes stare at my clean, white button down shirt in annoyance before snatching the stupid cloth out of my hands.

"If you put it under cold water, it may take the stain away. I could even do it for you, to be honest..." I suggest, apologetically, " did I say I was sorry?"

He sighs and throws the tissue away, looking at me as he does so. He then shakes his head and starts walking. "I hope whoever's hiring you is as forgiving as I am."

I stare, dumbfounded at his retreating back as he gets in a slick black car. Okay but who does he think he is.

"Bella?" someone shouts, and I turn to grab my coffee before making my way to the office.  

9:50 am. I barely make it on time when I finally got out of the revolving doors. I take a seat on one of the chairs by the reception, just as I had, a woman calls my name and motions for me to follow her. We travel up the elevators in silence and my palms are beginning to sweat because of how nervous I am. When the doors opened on the 6th floor, she led me down a hallway and into a closed door.

I clear my throat as she knocks three times before opening. The room comes to view to reveal a nice, spacious office. A man stands in the middle with his back turned towards us, he seems to be in a conversation with whoever is sitting on the chair.

"Sir, Miss Russo is here to see you." I smile at the woman in thanks before she closes the door. The man is now staring at me, I give him a small wave and he returns it with a nod before saying goodbye to who he was initially talking to. As he walks away I start to see the man sitting behind his desk, shuffling through papers.

"Hi, I'm here for the job interview, my name is-" I pause as I fully see who I am now talking to, he looks up from the desk and his head tilts as if trying to analyse where he'd seen me before.

The other man who is now beside me holding the door handle laughs softly. "Don't mind the coffee stain, he doesn't normally look this rough. Apparently some girl threw his coffee at him this morning," he shrugs and leaves.

We stare at each other in confusion before I cleared my throat. "I did not throw that coffee at you."

He strokes his stubble as he chuckles, a mischievous look in his eyes appear as he beckons me forward. "Tell me Miss Russo, how bad do you need this job?"