The Alphabet

"Are you crazy? There are millions, billions, trillions of people watching this exact video all wanting the exact same thing. Your odds of winning are so small that you have a better chance getting struck by lightning." Mara says in her sassy tone trying to get me out of it. I don't mind it, I mean, we have been best friends since...well forever. She's a realist, which comes in handy sometimes, but ruins the fun in other times.

    "So what? It's worth a shot. Besides, it's just for fun. Whatever happens, happens." I looked up to her as she's pacing the floor. YouTube finally loads and Mara plops herself down next to me as we're both greeted to a familiar face, ItsMeRileyy334. We have been watching his videos ever since he made his channel first as a cover artist and now with over 3 million subscribers watching him, following him, fangirling over him, he's really made a mark on YouTube. Every day he posts a video either a vlog, let's play, or a review at 3:00 EST which in Chicago, that's 2:00 CST. I gazed over at the clock on my computer screen "1:58 PM" Two more minutes until the announcement... I'm refreshing my page every 30 seconds impatiently waiting.

    "10 more seconds, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Now!" Mara jumps a little as I frantically click refresh. And there it is.

    "How's it going everyone it's me, Riley and I know a lot of you guys have been waiting for this video. Now let's cut to the chase. I am doing a little competition that yours truly will be the judge of. But get this, the prize is a week with me in LA. I don't know, we could be really chill friends and will be featured in my next vlog, a shoutout on Instagram, and all over my Snapchat. So here's what you gotta do..."

    I grab Mara's arm and looked at her, "Quick! Get something to write with!" I didn't want to stop the video, giving other people a chance in the world to meet the requirements first. Mara comes running with her laptop and opens a blank document.

    "All you have to do is follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and Subscribe to this channel and then be ready to answer this question during my Instagram live tonight. Here we go, how many letters are in the alphabet? I will see you tonight. See ya!" The video ends. Mara and I both stare at the screen in confusion it can't be that easy.

    "He can't be serious? Everyone knows that the answer is 26. It can't be that easy to win...can it?" Mara says trying to piece it all together.

    It really doesn't add up. Riley is always into complex things whether it be riddles or art. He's trying to fool us. Everyone thinks it's 26, but he's looking for a unique answer. Something different... "11" I blurted out looking dead in Mara's eyes. "It's 11". She wasn't buying it and looked at me as if I was stupid.

    "In what way does that make sense, Nia? Please, enlighten me." She put her hands on her hips with her sarcasm at full peak.

    "Well... the words 'the alphabet' has 11 letters. He's expecting everyone to say 26. He knows that's what everyone's thinking the answer is 26, but he's really wanting the people that say 11. He's not that easy, remember? He likes to be complex and likes to see things from a different perspective. Outside of the box." I try to explain to her in my best ability to make sense.

    She rolls her eyes and said, "tell you what, I will stick with my answer of 26 and see if it gets me anywhere and you will say you the random answer of 11 and see where that takes you, kay?" She doesn't believe me. To be honest, I wasn't expecting her to. Really I am just going with a gut feeling and a slice of logic, but no real facts. I could lose my chance and maybe never get this opportunity again... was it really worth it?

    I take a deep breath and bring my hand forward. "You're so on." She gladly shakes my hand firmly. I really hope I'm right.