Prologue

2 months later

2 months later.

Garrett and I have rested out my thoughts. I now have to push away each and every urge to kiss him or too wrap my arms around him.
I sat on Shane's couch, eating hot Cheetos while we watched a video Ryland and Morgan made together.
"This is so bad!" Morgan laughed as she watched herself in the video. "Oh my gosh I look so ugly!"

"No you don't! You look beautiful!" Garrett smiled to her, I could feel the envy grow in me. It felt as if I were to grow green any moment now. Garrett continues to flirt with Morgan with every dying moment he got, and I mean, go Garrett, he's not entitled to me anymore.

"I need a moment." I sighed, standing from the couch and exiting through the front door. I sat by the pool with my legs crossed. The pool lights illuminating my surroundings.

"I hate the question, but are you okay, Y/N?" Ryland asked, sitting next to me with his jacket around him. I nod and watch the water.

"I'm fine, just a little... Just feeling strange, ya know?" He nods and gently placed his head on my shoulder. "I miss living in my fantasy. The world was such a better place then."

"Darling, fantasies are always better than reality. In your case you got to spend 3 years of your fantasy." Ryland states, looked back up to me. I nod and look back through the window.

"Can I tell you something?" Ryland tilts his head, telling me to go on. "You can't tell anyone though and I'm trusting you."

"Of course."

"I'm still deeply in love with Garrett. I know he's gay... But the way he flirts with Morgan is just so unreal. Is he bisexual or something?"

"No, though Shane's the one who knows more about him than I do." Ryland sighed, taking my hand in his.

"I'd never in a million years ask him to change his sexuality, never! I just wanna go back to my dream where everything was perfect..."

"Trust me shistar, that dream world sounded amazing..." Ryland said, causing me to laugh. I sniff away the tears and nod.

"Of course. I'll be fine, when I need air it's because I am still just ruined. It's only been 2 months since my awakening." I confessed, looking through the windows to see my friends cracking up over the awful video. "I'm ready to go back inside, sister."

"Do you wanna meet our sister, James?" My eyes went wide as I looked to Ryland.

"Yes!" I smiled, with excitement overcoming me. He laughed as well and nodded.

"I'll speak with him about it."
We both enter the house and continued to watch the video.
"Shane, talk to James, Y/N wants to meet him." I smiled to Shane and felt my cheeks go red.

"Ooo! Can I come with?" Garrett asked as he smiled widely. My heart sank, I wanted a trip without him so I can spend quality time with the others. Ryland looked over to me and so does Garrett. I purse my lips and think about what to do.

"If you'd like..." I sighed, looking over to Morgan. "You're welcome to come as well, Morgan." I smirk, trying to get every one to come. I'm probably going to end up bailing on them anyway.

"I think I will." She giggled. We resume the video and continue to watch the cringe. My eyes started to close as the video went on and on.

———

I awoke to sun glazing my body through the windows in Shane's house. I sat up, checking my surroundings. Garrett slept on the opposite side of the couch, snuggling with Uno and Honey. I saw him petting the dog lightly, showing he was awake.
"Garrett." I whisper. His head turned to mine as I quickly put my glasses back on. "What time is it?" He opens his phone and squinted his eyes.

"9 am." He sighed and I laid back down.
"Can we talk?" I turned away from Garrett and smirk.

"Yes, of course." I wipe away the stray tear and turn back around to him.

"Your dreams... What were they like?" He inquired, his voice scratchy from the lack of sleep.

"Interesting." I say. "Very lovely. It was the best life I've lived." Garrett chuckled and smiled to me. "But it's not real, and even though it makes my heart ache most of the time, I understand the things I can't do now..."

"Hey! It's not my fault your thoughts made me love you." I nod, my heart aching even more. "But we're friends now... Better than ever!"

"You're right, and that's all I wish for, your friendship. I wouldn't change that for the world. I'm just glad you're still willing to be Even that after the strange things I thought of." I confessed, digging inside of my head to replay scenes from my dreams. Oh but I would change the world to be in Garrett's arms again...

"Great! I don't want you being in pain any longer. You're an amazing person, Y/N. You really are..."

"Thank you, Garrett. You're an amazing person as well." I gazed into his beautiful blue eyes. "Though I will miss the relation ship I had with the others as well. We were close, just like family."

"That's understandable." He nods and checked his phone over. I quickly wiped away a tear again and call Cheeto over to cuddle with. "When you awoke from the dream, what was going on before?"

"It was like I had a choice." I start. "Like I had a choice to come back to live and spend my last month with... Everyone, or to die and keep my peace. But my mind already chose. I was to be here, now. In my dream I had cancer... I had been put out of my misery a little to early... But it pulled me back in... I'm back with my misery. Even if I no longer have cancer, I still have to live with the fact I missed three years of my life."

"Do you miss it? If you were never diagnosed, would you want to go back and stay with me and the rest, just the way it was?" I wanted to scream yes at the top of my lungs. I missed being with Garrett, missed his soft kisses and him calling me princes.

"Yes." So I did it. I spoke my mind.
"I miss it, so." I sighed, wiping away another tear, letting Garrett see it this time. "I miss it dearly. Everything about it was amazing... and I guess that's why it crashed in the end."