The Sky is Dark and the Moon is Full

The sky is dark and the moon is full. I can hear the crickets chirp, some dogs howl like in a horror movie, and the roaring of car engines engines that pass by are almost inaudible. I must be far from the street.

The grass which I am lying on has penetrated my shirt. It annoys me as it pricks my back but I still lie motionless.

I see millions of stars. I try to count it but stop as I realize that the idea is stupid.

I turn my head to the right then to the left. There is nothing except trees that surround me a few yards away. I’m in a vast area of grass which is encircled by trees. I have no total idea as to why I got here.

 My right hand is grasping on something – a bottle. I try to lift my head to look at the thing I am holding but it seemed to be too heavy. Gravity, as I feel now, is twice as strong as the time I remembered. My face is numb. I smile as I reach into a conclusion that I am drunk.

I take a long breath through my nose then release the air through my mouth as I try to remember what has happened. I remember music, techno music with a heavy bass at every beat, strobe lights, a lot of hopping with hands raised as the beat drops. There was a lot of kissing with strangers. Events after that are somehow deleted from my memory.

I feel the ground vibrate. My body vibrates with it. It gets stronger and stronger. I hear a swooshing sound. Similar to the vibration, it also gets intensified.

A plane, with great speed, hovers over me. Wind brushes through my face.

What the fuck. Seriously, a fighter jet? I say to myself. I have never seen fighter jets before. I only see them in movies like Top Gun.

It pulls up. I see a speck of light at its six as it gains altitude. The speck of light is gaining on the aircraft. It is faster than the plane. As they collide, they burst into a cloud of yellow light.

I focus on the silence again. There is no more plane to fix my eyes on now. Silence to me now consists of the sounds of almost inaudible car engines, cricket chirps and dog howls.

I see debris falling from the sky. One of them is falling straight to me. I stare at it. My mind tells me to move but my free will prevents me to.

“C’mon you bastard! Hit me with all that you got!” I cry as the object comes near me. I have no idea whom I’m picking a fight with. Is it God whom I blame for all my misfortunes or is that statement only a result of intoxication?

I close my eyes as I get ready for the impact. I can already imagine it my head, since it is heading towards that part of my body, and splatter my brains out.

I hear the ground thump. I am not dead. Or maybe I am. Did my nervous system get crushed that quick that I didn’t notice pain?

I open my eyes. I’m still lying on the pointy grass. The different sounds of silence are still there. I feel my heart beating furiously. I try to take the bottle’s mouth into mine. Before it reaches my mouth I spill some of it on my shirt

I take a few gulps. My body warms up and I feel my pulse slowing down.

I turn my head to the right. I see a black circular thing which seems to be a ball.

It’s a weird thing to fall off a plane. I tell myself.

I don’t feel the wind blowing but I know that it is because the grass is swinging towards my face. I stare at the thing as the wind continues to blow.

The ball starts to roll toward me. When it completes a 180-degree roll, I no longer see a ball but a face. It is a head. A god damn head. Its eyes are gouged. I can clearly see its upper set of teeth through its wound on his right cheek.

I try to pour liquor into its mouth but I sprinkled it on all over his face.

“You look like you need a drink,” I say to the head.

I also take a gulp for myself. The bottle is now empty. I throw the bottle over my feet. I hear a thump as it hits the ground. I feel a bulge in my pocket as I touch it. As I put my hands in my pocket, I touch a cold metallic thing. I take it out and gaze upon it – a flask. I remember that I always bring it with me (in case of emergency.) I disclose its cover and pour it into my open mouth. Vodka.

“Pssst,” I hear.

No one is present except me and the head so I turn my head toward it and say, “What? I aint drunk yet.” I pause.

“Sometimes, the best things in life are those which we consider bad.” I added as I held the flask up. “What a paradox.”

I realize something.

“Did you just pssst me mothafucka?” I demand.

Silence.

I begin to cry. I don’t try to control my sobs and tears as they wet my face.

“FUCK THIS SHIT!” I shriek to the sky

I sob a couple of times then pour vodka into my open mouth. It overflows and I choke on it. I cough as my lungs try to expel the liquor which has entered it.

I breathe heavily and calm down after a few seconds.

“Pssst.”

“WHA–“ I halt.

I see a familiar face – my face.

I couldn’t move. My whole body seems not to be cooperating. I start to panic but could not do anything. I could neither turn my head nor my eyes. I examine opposite to me and I still see my face, but there is something different. It isn’t just a head anymore; it is a man with complete body stout figure. A flask lies on his chest with his hand over him.

I am not an intoxicated loser who is lying on a grass field. I am no more than a brave pilot’s head who still thinks he lives. My belief is so strong that I have turned myself into the likes of him. The face which I am facing isn’t my face. It is his.

Once more I hear the sound of silence: cricket chirps, dog howls, distant car engines and honks. I remember now that I am here because I fell from the dark sky under the light of the full moon.