Isabella

Truth of the past

"Isabella, listen to me closely. From now on you mustn't run," my mother's quivering voice had told me. She held my small hands in hers while they shook with such fear and pain. She was enduring it, fighting the tears, trying to stay strong in front of her only daughter—me.

Blood poured from my mother's right leg which had been torn in half by monsters my nine-year-old self couldn't comprehend; formally known as the blood-sucking vampires.

They would be coming for her, my child-self, and she would have never foreseen the chase of a lifetime. Nonetheless, she answered with the only thing she hoped would comfort her dying mother.

"Okay mom, I promise."

Her mom's eyes closed effortlessly, a smile of relief from her daughter's reassurance, and a leak of a few tears before her lids covered them. My breathing clenched, my tiny throat tightening, and I released her hand.

I took my stand and cry as I left her unconscious body on the hardwood floor of our dim-lit kitchen before blowing out the candles on our countertops, leaving the room in pitch black. "I won't let them get away, mom," it was a promise.

I scurried out the back door and spot the vampire devouring the other half of my mom's leg, it was horrifying and nearly paralyzed my younger self before she obeyed my mom's words. I went over the demonized creature and did a combination of forbidden hand signs I had spent memorizing after my mom had me homeschooled by some powerful sorcerer.

The vampire turned, it's glowing, red eyes staring back at my own. It's animal-like hands caught on fire. His screech of pain pierced my ears until he splattered into dark vampire guts from the spell, banishing before the night.

My younger self dropped suddenly onto the grass of the backyard and her eyesight blurring. Visions of her dying mother, the vampire, the blood, and horror filled her head. Then, dead silence.

It wasn't until four in the evening the next day that the police had been called by some unknown caller. The police rushed to our old, wooden home. They quickly rushed both my mother and I to the hospital saying my mother had little chance of survival. I, however, could be salvaged in a few day's time.

Luckily for my mom, she knew what she was up against and had prepared for something bad. I didn't know the full details, but in the end, she did end up surviving. It was an extremely close call, but she still breathes to this very day, but not without a cost. She had lost all memories except for a select few (I was not one of them) and she is unable to speak due to the 'traumatizing events' as the doctor put it.

I watch my best warlock friend Justin's face go through the various expressions—confusion, sympathy, astonishment, horror, and relief—in that particular order, as we use the spell cast to connect our minds

I watch my best warlock friend Justin's face go through the various expressions—confusion, sympathy, astonishment, horror, and relief—in that particular order, as we use the spell cast to connect our minds. We were practicing talking back and forth in our heads, and honestly, it was easy to give vivid detail I couldn't explain externally. "I can't even imagine the thought of that. It's like-"

"Unimaginable, right?"

"Yeah, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

I sit up from my position on the floor and stare at my sparkling crimson acrylics, a fake smile on my face, "It wasn't pretty, but well, I survived didn't I?"

"Thank god you did!" Justin replies. He stands up and reaches his hand out for mine, "Come on, Bells." I grab ahold of his and he pulls me off the ground. We leave my 'emo' themed bedroom, as Justin calls it. Although, I think it's actually comforting, and it fits the witchy world I have to live in. The technical term is sorcery, but we use spells from ancient books, old symbols, and summoning magics like we're practicing witchcraft. Honestly, what's the difference?

Justin and I walk down the stairs, our ride to hell awaiting us. He tosses his bag on his shoulder and holds a crystal, gem type thing—our ride—looking over at me, "Got everything: books, backpack-"

"A few snacks to tide us over and, as always, Lucky!" my pet mouse I keep in my backpack—he's cute, okay? Anyone who makes fun of him is in for trouble. Justin nods and begins to chant the spell which causes the crystal to glow a purple color and some shades of pink. Then poof, we are officially at the Camp Sourcery Headquarters—the site of some of the most prestigious sorcerers in the world, and we are their apprentices.
—————
Bella, age seventeen - 3 years before Shattered Destiny occurs!

—————Bella, age seventeen - 3 years before Shattered Destiny occurs!