My Words are My Mark

Author's Note

To anyone and everyone who is about to read this: first of all - thank you. I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I have enjoyed writing them. In this collection, I will include a range of fictions and passages that I have written over the years. Many of the older ones will be rewritten, but not by much since I have specifically chosen ones which I believe have stood the test of time. I do want to to point out that the reason for my rewriting of some is because I was in my mid-teens when some of them were originally written and my writing style has improved, I think, since then. However, the majority of words will remain unchanged. For anyone who would like to read the originals in their original location, then please don't hesitate to take a look at my bio or ask for a specific link. 

Here I will write something about each of the stories added. They won't be summaries as such, but more of an insight into where the inspiration came from for those who are interested. 

I. What War Does

Originally written in 2012. 

This was an entry for my school's Historical Fiction Competition. I was 14 at the time and decided to enter. I hadn't written anything historical before, and I haven't written anything since. The story is set during the First World War, and focuses on a woman's reactions and memories of her husband after receiving by telegram the news that everyone was dreading at the time. I have rewritten more than I thought I would for this one, particularly when it comes to looking into Karen's memories. In the original, I have Karen remembering in the form of a dream, in this version Karen is simply just telling the reader of her past. The italics are have been removed and the 'flashbacks' (as I will call them) have been cut down. I kept the last line as identical as I could since I am quite attached to it and like to think it's a strong message at the end. It's also worth noting that the entire thing is written in first person, which is not a style I opt to do now since it's not one of my favourites and I avoid it if I can. 

II. Just Like Water

Originally written in 2013

There's not much to say about this one other than I can't quite remember where this story came from, or why it turned out the way it did. I was 15 at this point, and nothing particularly interesting was happening, so I can only put it down to teenage angst, really. This one remains pretty much unchanged other than the odd edit of choice of word, or sorting out the occasional typo that occurred. It's a short story that I am still tremendously proud of and didn't feel the need to change anything too much.