Chapter 1 ~ The Team

Song: Guy Sebastian - Who's That Girl

__________

...ARLO...

There are people out there that hide within the shadows, watching, waiting, protecting you from the darkness that surrounds you. These people exist only because evil walks among everyone, pretending, manipulating, disguised as your local milk bar owner, your neighbourhood hairdresser or even your daughter's best friend. I will never tire of these scum being put away, having justice served on their deplorable acts and crimes against their fellow humans.

Nothing is more satisfying than taking down the evil of this world.

Those of us who work out of the shadows are The Brothers. We were formed by my father, Chase Ramalio, son to Former Mafia Kingpin, Vincent Ramalio, years ago. The story, as I've been told, goes...

The Ramalio's were feared Mafia criminals and my father could no longer stand the evil and wrong that they were being forced into, so, he took down his own father's empire, the Hells Demons, one of the oldest gangs in history and even took out their rival's, The Black Dragons, after they made the mistake of kidnapping my mother, Aiya. When he formed, The Brothers, their sole purpose, was to right the wrongs that others have done and suffered through. Due to my mother's history of being sold into child slavery, this is now one of our main targets with the help of my Grandfather David Carlson, who works as a Private Investigator and my Grandmother Detective Mariella Momenetti. The Brothers operate within the shadows, working outside the law restrictions, to apprehend the perpetrators. Today, we managed to take down a large network of child pornography distributors.

My father never wanted this life for me, the stuff I have seen haunts my dreams, insomnia has become my close and personal friend and living this lifestyle doesn't leave much room for socialising but I'm glad I chose to do this. The people we help is well worth it, to know you saved someone's life or a child's life - there is no greater gift.

We were the ones criminals whispered about in fear, the ones the law knew about but could never find and the ones you prayed were coming when you were in need... we were retribution.

"Having trouble sleeping again, son?" Dads deep husky voice always calmed me, ever since I was a baby. Mum taught him how to sing and once he started, he never wanted to stop.

"I envy the dead." He clasps my shoulder and squeezes as we both looked out over the water. The moon's reflection danced rhythmically across the ocean below.

"I'm sorry I didn't choose a less torturous lifestyle," he stated in earnest.

"Dad, we have been over this, it was my choice to follow in your footsteps," I took a swig from the mouth of my beer as he watched me out the corner of his deep green eyes.

"Arlo... You have given everything you have to the cause, hell, your namesake gave his life and you're still so young, you should be worrying about the next woman you'll be fucking not this stuff." I laughed at him.

"Only you could encourage me to go find someone to fuck in a way that doesn't sound like encouragement," I teased, shaking my head.

"Yes, and if you ever tell your mother, I will deny until I'm blue in the face."

"How do you do it? Keep your mind clear?"

"I fuck son," I rolled my eyes at him while he snickers mischievously. "No, in all seriousness, growing up with the evil bastard that was my father, having to murder innocent people all because of their addiction to drugs, that were designed to be addictive - I learnt to close off that side of my mind. It still rears its ugly head in my dreams every now and again, but when I look over at Aiya and then at the pictures of you and your sister, I realise it was all worth it and my mind calms. You will find her ya know, that woman that stills your turbulent mind. She will be everything you thought and so much more."