Chapter 1

Shit!

That was the only thing going through mind has I noticed that I was going to be late for school. That would be the third time this week. I rushed out my bed, tripping over my blanket, I hit my head on the floor with a loud thud. I quickly got up and ran into the bathroom. I finished my hygiene and hopped into the shower. After ten minutes in the shower I realized that I had left my towel in my room.

"Put on some fucking clothes! You know my man is here. Stop acting like a little whore and take your ass to school." My mom yelled coming up the steps seeing my naked body. I rolled my eyes at the disapproving look on her face. She always thinks that I'm trying to steal her boyfriends. I think that she's intimidated by me because I'm smarter and cuter than her.

I looked in my closet for something to wear, I decided to put on my black half shirt, red plaid sweater, shorts and my all black converse. I didn't have time to do my hair so I just put on a headband and let my natural hair do its thing. After minutes I was ready to leave out the house I grabbed my car keys and rushed out the door.

*

*

*

Where are my manners, my name is Leilani West, but my friends call me Lani. I'm hawaiian and black. A junior in high school, head cheerleader, and captain of the schools dance team. I'm also on the debate team and the student government association(SGA). My best friend's name is Sunjai. We first met in kindergarten during nap time. They had to put us into a separate room from the other kids because we would snore so loud that the other kids would wake up because they thought a bear was about to eat them.

"Hey Lani, what's wrong with you. You got that stank look on your face." She asked me with a confused look on her face. "I had to get out of the house, my mom was driving me crazy! She acussed me of trying to steal her boyfriend again." 

"WOW! What's that the third time this month? What's her problem?"

"Idk, I think that she has trust issues."

We continued to talk untill we reached our lockers. Did I mention that me and Sunjai have the same classes and our lockers our right next to each others. "Hey, have out heard abything about the new boy?" Sunjai asks me.

"The only thing that I've geard is that he plays football and runs track."

"Ooooo, he's athletic. I like that in guy" 

"Sunjai now you know that he is not your type. You know you like a nigga that lives the fast life and has money."

" Yea but who wouldn't "

" But that would make yall relationship more diffcult than it has to be. You have to worry about if he's gonna get shot, or arrested by the cops, anything can happen. "

"Yea, you right. But I would still fuck one."

"Jesus take the wheel. Just take it. "

 "Attention class we have new student, Langston. Langton why don't you sit next to Leilani. Leilani raise your hand." I looked at Sunjai in disbelief, this boy looked TF good. I raised my hand to let him know where to sit.  As he started to walk a smile began to appear on his face.

"Sup ma. My name Langston, but I guess you already knew that. And I guess your name must be Leilani, huh?"

DTFL! This boy really thinks that he's the shit. I know he cute or whatever but its gonna take more than looks to impress me. But his accent. His atlanta accent is the best. 

"Yea I already knew, the teacher just announced your name to the whole class. And yea I'm Leilani cuz the teacher to you to sit next to me unless there's another Leilani in here that I don't know about."

"I see you have a temper, Iike that. You have a beautiful name. What does it mean?"

"Thank you. It means heavenly woman in Hawaiian. What does your name mean? "

" Well my mom is really in to music so she named me after Langston Hughes."

"Wow it must be cool to be named after a talented man."

" Yea, somethimes it has its perks and sometimes it doesn't. Do you think you can show me where my classes are? "

" Sure let me see your schedule. It looks like you have the same classes as me except for your last period. Biology is down the science hallway which is past the gym and to the left. And you have lunch right ater this class. The cafeteria is up stairwell 8 and then your gonna go turn left at the top, then walk straight down the hallway and turn right. "

" Damn thats a lot to remember. Can I just follow you there? "

" Damn you lazy as shit, but sure I don't mind. You can sit with me and Sunjai if you like."

" Nah, I'm good."

**Bell Rings**

" Come on let's hury before all the good seats are taken."

And with that we headed out the door.