The Waterfall (Alphyne Backstory)

~TRIGGER WARNING~
Suicidal mentions and attempts

Alphys sighed to herself, hugging herself as she walked through the dump. Some cans were shoved aside by her feet, some cans were crushed. She had told Mettaton she was going there to find more anime, but that just wasn't the case.

Alphys let the tears that were burning her eyes slip down her cheeks, making her vision foggy. Thoughts swirled around in her head as she walked. Their screams, their calls, their letters. Their begs, their pleads for their families. She just couldn't take it anymore.

All the guilt and all the pain was building up inside of her, and it was even worse now that Mettaton knew what she had done to Shyren's sister. She was a failure and even he hated her now. However, nobody could hate her more than she hated herself. 

Her lab coat was soaked and was weighing her down a bit and she was pretty sure her tail had gotten cut on the lid of a can, but she didn't care. It would all be over soon, anyway.

She smiled a bit as she reached the waterfall. The waterfall with a bottomless pit. The waterfall that had no end. Some say it never stops, some say you die once you reach the bottom. Some say it's a teleportation device to the surface, others say you drown in the water. Some say you get killed by rocks and falling rubble before either the fall or water can kill you.

She stood at the very edge of the waterfall, thinking about her life. What would Mettaton do? What would her friends do? How long would it take people to notice she was gone? She smiled at these thoughts and shook her head.

"Dang it, Alphys," she spoke to herself, giggling as more tears raced down her cheeks "Stop thinking about that. Nobody will miss you. Nobody cares,"

Her smile dropped and all she could feel is just cold pain rushing through her veins and jabbing at her heart. She inched closer, her toes now dangling over the edge. With this, she started to sob. She had left a suicide note for Mettaton in her room, but he never went in there, so he wouldn't find it until she was long gone.

She felt her heart race and her head pound. She then closed her eyes and just jumped forward. She opened her eyes quickly and screamed loudly, feeling herself be hit with falling things. Rocks, cans, crates. She screamed louder, and that's when she felt it.

Someone grabbed her arm and pulled her onto something. She looked up and immediately blushed. A girl stood there, gasping a bit and frantically looking around. That girl pulled Alphys closer to her. Alphys finally collected her thoughts and looked around. They were pretty far from the top of the waterfall.

That girl had made two spears. One they were standing on, one was keeping things from falling on them. The girl removed the spear on the top and, with a grunt, she threw it higher. She then used the spear she was standing on as a booster and jumped, still gripping onto Alphys with one hand while she grabbed onto the spear and hauled the two up with the other.

She kept doing this until they were on top of the waterfall. Once they finally reached the top, the girl put Alphys down and collapsed in the water, gasping a bit. After a few moments of awkwardness, she looked at Alphys.

"What the hell were you thinking?! You could've gotten yourself killed!" She yelled angrily, standing up. Alphys only looked down, guilt, sadness, and anxiety washing over her.

"T-that was the plan," She said quietly, but just loud enough for the girl to hear. Alphys couldn't hear anything for awhile but her own heartbeat and the sound of rushing water. Then she looked up and met the girls face. It was confusion, but it quickly went to realization, then sorrow.

"Well.....I'm Undyne," She said extending her hand for Alphys to shake. Alphys hesitated, but shook it.

"A-Alphys," She said with a very small smile. Undyne gave her a big smile.

"I like that name. Alphys," Undyne said, nodding to herself. "Well, Alphys, I'm Undyne.....wait, I already said that.....crap,"

Alphys couldn't help but break into little fits of giggles and Undyne chuckled and shook her head again, blushing from embarrassment.

"Hey, where do you live? I could take ya there," Undyne said. Alphys smiled and blushed, feeling her heart pound out of her chest, but in a good way.

"Oh no, i-its fine, really. You've done enough," Alphys said with a little bow of the head.

"You sure?" Undyne asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Im sure," Alphys said with a small nod. There was around ten seconds of silence, before Undyne suddenly took Alphys' phone out of her lab coat. Before Alphys could question it, Undyne had shoved her phone back at her.

"There ya go! Now you have my number. Give me a ring if you ever wanna hang out or if you just need someone to talk to. Oh, and Alphys?"

"Yeah?"

"Know that you're worth more than you think. Later, dude!" Undyne said, before running off. Alphys stood there for awhile, holding her phone to her chest. Nobody had ever told her that before. It made her feel special.

When she finally made it back to the lab, she was immediately hugged by Mettaton, who was crying.

"Alphys, darling, I thought you were dead!! I-I found this note and I thought I had lost you! You're my very best friend, you're like a mother to me! Don't you ever, ever, EVER do that to me again, you hear me?! Are you alright?!" Mettaton asked, tears still flowing down his cheeks. His mascara was running, but he didn't care.

"Mettaton, I'm better than alright," Alphys said with a sigh, hugging him back. "I'm in love,"