(1) sunshine

The nerves only kick in when I am seated in the passenger seat of the car, on my way to my new school. I finally realise what I'm getting myself into, a whole different world filled to the brim with new faces, new places and a new lifestyle. A world which I will get to be a part of. Changing schools isn't a walk in the park, I've been there before. My parents are always on the move because of their work. I've told them that I wanted to settle somewhere for a longer time because I hate the constant moving and changes in my life as I find it hard to make friends and simply lead a regular teenage life. They noticed my sadness and decided to finally stay in one place, Seoul. The city is perfect as our whole family has grown up there and it just feels like home. It feels right. 

Although it is technically my hometown, I am still nervous to start school there. I only know one person who goes there, Yuna, my cousin. We have always been really close and I consider her more like my best friend than my cousin and I know she will help me out at school but the what-ifs are circling in my mind like animated stars nonetheless. What if Yuna has her own group of friends and doesn't want to be seen with me? What if I don't make any new friends? What if I lose my way around the school? What if I have horrible classmates? What if my teachers are strict?

My thoughts are disturbed as we approach the school car park and my mum drives over a speed bump, the jump sending me back to the real world. I lift up my head and look out of the window, taking in the gigantic school building and the rays of sunshine reflecting off its glass windows. The sun gives off beams of hope and happiness. Maybe it's a sign.

Students are lazily making their way through the entrance doors as my car slowly comes to a stop just outside the school building. My stomach is filled with butterflies unable to control their flight. At first I feel nervous but excitement slowly takes over my body. Finally I can start a normal life and find myself.

"Okay, sweetheart! This is your chance to shine, have fun and be good! I love you!" My mum says while leaning over to kiss my cheek.

"Thanks mum, I love you too. Bye!" I say with flushed cheeks as a few pupils walking past noticed my mum kissing me and started to laugh. Oh gosh,  great start Hana. I open the car door, pulling my bag onto my shoulder and make my way up the stone path to the entryway, waving my mum a small goodbye while she drives off. Well, you're all alone now. You've got this Hana, stay calm.

I make my way to the school reception office, which is to the right of the entrance door and I politely tell the lady behind the desk that I'm new and I need my school timetable. She smiles at me warmly and hands me a piece of paper with my classes and a mini map of the school. "Welcome to our school, I hope you'll love it here," she says. I hope so too. I thank her and begin to make my way to first period. And it begins, my first day.