The L. Girls - Reunion

• Dedicated to Our readers from SNSC batch'03

Dina’s POV

Hi, my name is Diana Delfin. People at school call me, DD, but those who know me well call me, Dina. It is my last day as a lifeguard at California Park Outdoor Pool. Contrary to what you think, no, I do not live in Cali, for California Park is located in Chicago, Illinois on the corner of Irving Park and California Avenues, hence, the name. My family moved here six years ago, when I was fifteen years old. Adapting to urban life wasn’t easy for my whole family, but after all these years, here we are: intact and unbroken. I cherish this fact. I would give up a lot for them. Maybe even my whole world. But I don’t usually tell people this, because I could jinx myself. When I get home, I swear, I’m going to ferociously knock on wood, three times!

Anyways, my shift is over, and I am walking on California Avenue, on my way to Montrose. I carry a blue backpack that contains my orange lifeguard suit, a white shirt, red shorts, and other essentials. The day is hot and humid. It is seven-thirty, but the sun is still out—typical on a summer day, where I live. On my left is Horner Park. I see people playing tennis and jogging. I’m sure the basketball court is being used too, but I can’t see it from where I walk.

I am not a blonde. I am a Filipina, and proud, with dark hair. Although, when I look into the mirror everytime I comb my it, I see brown streaks. It must have been caused by all the days I spent working on the outdoor pool. Conclusion: the sun has subtly bleached my hair. When I was sixteen, the first summer I spent in Chicago, I bleached my hair on purpose. I had nothing to do and got so bored, so I decided to change my hair color for the first time. Hey, all my Filipina friends were doing it. I was initially pleased with the effect, but eventually, I got tired of it. In the last week of August, before Labor Day, I bought a bottle of black hair dye at the drug store and colored my hair jet black; just in time for the first day of school. I don’t know about you guys, I probably won’t drastically change my hair color, again.

My eyes are black, and even though I spend a lot of time in the sun, no, I am not tan. I tell my friends that I use a very strong, high end sunscreen, courtesy of my generous RN cousin, but it’s a lie. You see, I am not an ordinary girl. Whoo, I can feel the wind getting strong now, and the hot air is probably rising too. I have super strength, super speed, and a super metabolism, to accompany both. How is it that I don’t tan? I don’t understand, either. I just…don’t tan? If it doesn’t make sense to you, it doesn’t make sense to me, either. Blame my creator, joke, love you God. Anyway, you’d be glad to know that I don’t sparkle.

I just reached Cullom Avenue; one more block and it’s Montrose. Then, I plan to ride the westbound 78 bus all the way home. The eastbound one leads to the beach. I have my license, but I don’t have my own car. Besides, I barely get to drive because my mother doesn’t trust me. She entrusts this responsibility to my nineteen year old brother. Sorry girls, he doesn’t own a car, either, but he’s fun and he can dance.

My mother, like many others, views me as an incapable girl. It must be the way I look. I have the classic Asian girl look—the kind with innocent-looking eyes and a matching quiet demeanor that makes me you think: Oh no, she couldn’t possibly hurt a fly. It used to disturb me when I was younger, but ever since I met Mia and Analie, I shrugged it off, and stopped caring.

-----

A/N:

My friends and I created the L girls when we met in Grade 3. :) Only my former classmates know what the L stands for, right now...  

This is a cross between 2 cartoons. One is an anime and the other one is a show with 3 heroines. lol... Try to guess which 2 cartoons ;)

But, I don't know if I could call this a fanfic because we don't plan on copying the powers of our favorite heroines. Moreover, I decided to make my favorite, a Filipina, and not blonde like my childhood idol/s. All of them were blonde. *blush, blush* @_@  But today, like Dina said, I'm proud to be Filipina. :) And through Dina, I have more to say about Filipinas overseas. Wait for the second part of D's backstory. ;)