o n e

1432 Words 

Lia's POV

Of course my parents are making me work this summer. Of course. I guess I've been "too lazy" or I've "seemed like I'm falling into a depressed state" as my parents say. Well I haven't been lazy or falling back into a depressed state. In fact, I've never even been in a depressed state. I've just liked being alone the first couple of weeks of summer, and as soon as they noticed I was isolating myself, they signed me up right away to work at this random camp. Camp Kiwi I think it's called. Who names a summer camp "Camp Kiwi?" Really? Naming a camp after a fruit?

I'm not excited for this camp whatsoever. I'm not good with kids, I'm not good with the outdoors, and I'm certainly NOT good with uniforms, especially khaki shorts. I mean, you never know what uniform they'll assign you. 

"Lia! Come down and eat breakfast before we leave! You're going to be late for the bus! You can't miss it!" my mom yells from downstairs. "I'm still getting ready mom! I'll take it to go!" I yell back.

I groan very loudly--on purpose so my parents would hear it. I drag myself out of bed and walk to my bathroom. After doing my regular morning routine, I decide what I'm going to do with my hair and my face. I leave my black hair down and put a fair amount of sunscreen on my tan, brown skin. I just line my brown eyes with eyeliner, curl my eyelashes, and put on some mascara. I smack on some chapstick on my full lips and approve of myself in the mirror.

Walking over to my closet, I examine the clothes that I haven't packed. I throw on a pair of white high waisted shorts, a light blue UCLA spirit jersey, and some Air Force 1s.

I haul my heavy bags down the stairs. I feel like I packed way too little for three months. I honestly didn't know people went to summer camp for three whole months. Don't people get homesick? Or sick of camp, at least? I drop both of my clothes-filled bags down the stairs and greet my mom and dad good morning.

"Are you excited Lia? Three months of independence. I think that'll get you prepared for college a year from now," My dad says. "Don't you think I should be spending this time focusing where I want to go and what I want to do in life? Believe me, I'm already ready for independence from you guys. I mean, I am seventeen years old. I know what it's like to be independent," I say, seriously. "Well-" he starts. "You know," I start. "Some people are actually starting to plan for college and write their applications, but you guys are just sending me off to the middle of no where-"

"Alright let's not get in a fight on the day that you're leaving for camp, Lia," my mom says sternly. "Alright," I sigh. "Bye dad. See you when I see you" I say, giving him half a hug, not really caring. He says his goodbye and we drag my bags to the garage.

"Can't you guys just get along one morning?" She asks, opening up the driver seat door. "You should tell him," I say, getting in my side. She rolls her eyes and starts the car. After a while of silence, she starts to make conversation, probably feeling bad for sending me away for three months. "I'm gonna miss you, Lia," she says with sympathy, keeping her focus on the road. "You're the one that sent me to this camp," I say. She huffs, giving up on trying to converse with me.

We finally get to the recreation center where the counselors are meeting. I get my bags from the trunk while my mom gets out of the car. "I'll see you soon. Try to give me updates if you can. I'm gonna miss you so much," she says while hugging me. "Gonna miss you, too," I say half-heartedly. She sighs and lets go of me. I walk towards the building from the parking lot. I open the door to the building and turn around to wave my mom goodbye. She waves and then gets in her car.

I walk into the building and see a room with a good amount of people who are my age crowding in it. I go in, and I'm immediately stared at. I stare back at everyone and realize I know no one who is working at this camp at all. I give an awkward smile and turn to the table with a sign in sheet, feeling tingles in my back from the embarrassment of that moment. I see seven piles of shirts, varying in different colors. I look at the solid shirts with pastel colors that say, 'Camp Kiwi.'

 "You must be Lia," an older lady says, interrupting my observations. "Yes. Nice to meet you," I say, shaking her hand. "We were just about to start the round up," She says. "Alright people! Gather around!" She yells at everyone who is spread throughout the room. I walk away from the sign-in table and head over to the circle that's forming around the woman who had just talked to me. "My name is Cassy Julians. I'll be the head coordinator of the camp. Any problems at the camp will be reported to me."

I start to zone her out, looking at the different people in the circle. I see various types of people: tall, short, chubby, skinny, but two nice looking boys catch my eye. One has brown hair with some blonde streaks. I can tell it's dyed. His lips are thin, but still very cute. His button nose peaks up a bit and his blue eyes are focused on Cassy. The other boy has curly brown hair with very cute dimples. He's about six feet tall with light skin and full lips. He has very smiley eyes that are a beautiful, emerald green. Wow. I could get lost inside those eyes forever-

"Ahem," Cassy coughs. I jump out of my daze, and she's staring directly at me. "Shall I continue, or would you like to keep staring?" she asks. My face turns red, I give yet another awkward smile, and look down at my shoes. "As I was saying..." We're not even at the camp yet and I've already pissed off the person who's in charge. I hear someone next to me stifle a laugh. I look to the right and see a girl about my age, maybe a bit older hiding her smile. I immediately look back at my shoes.

I look up after a while and catch a quick glance at the two boys once again. I make immediate eye contact with them and see both of them smirking at me and chuckling. I clear my throat and turn to try to pay attention to what Cassy is saying. 

"This camp is for underclassmen in high school. I know some are only a bit older, but you will have full authority over them. I expect you to keep them in check, I expect you to help them have fun, and at the same time, I expect you to follow the rules," Cassy continues. "This camp has a strict three strikes policy. If a staff member breaks the rules three times, they will leave the campsite immediately."

"And what are these rules, Ms. Julians?" The curly haired boy asks. British? Did I just hear a British accent? Oh Lord.

"There are five very important rules..."

I look at the boys, only to see the curly haired one giving me a smirk. I immediately look away, feeling my cheeks heating up.

"You are not allowed to break these rules at any time or place at Camp Kiwi. They are very serious and can lead to you being in an immense amount of trouble.

"Rule number one: Do not be out past your curfew.
Rule number two: Do not have your electronics out at the campsite unless it is an emergency or I tell you that you are able to.
Rule number three: Do not feed the squirrels. I suggest you don't ask about this one because it is a very long story.
Rule number four: No drugs or alcohol should be used at any point during camp. At all.
And finally, rule number five: no sexual relations at this camp between anyone. Understood?"

Well shit. There goes my chances at getting at those nice looking boys.