Working

Cracker, 8th February

This wasn't unusual for Miz to be working much harder than her regular days; the Princess' birthday was on the arrival, and each and every single one of the slaves that were in this particular sector of the cobblestone built city had to be on their toes, preparing and arranging and cleaning the streets for her carriage to be brought through them. Miz's job was a simple one, considering she couldn't get educated as well as the more middle-class slaves, she had to work on the local farm, harvesting food for the people that will be coming to this huge grand event.

She heaved one last hay bale onto the carriage and looked meekly at her damaged hands, they were scarred and covered in mud and filth, but she was used to it.

"Don't strain yourself," The man on the horse said in a joking manner, Miz simply stared and shunned him, turning around spitefully and grabbing another bundle of hay as her nose scrunched. "I wouldn't look so miserable, would you like the Princess to see you like this?" His horse kicked. Miz huffed.

"I won't be seeing her anyway, she is only visiting the rich people. You know, those who can buy houses?" She rubbed her eyes and exhaled deeply, before reaching for another bale. The stranger laughed.

"You are correct, but you never know, she might come around to see if the farms are doing well--oh-- hey! That's enough hay, we don't want an accident on the paths do we?" He signalled her to stop loading and she did. "Bless, and keep up the hard work." He tapped his horse and it huffed and scraped at the muddy earth, before taking off at a steady pace. The man didn't look back and Miz decided to go back inside the Barnhouse instantly as he grew smaller into the distance, her mother said she made tea after she had finished this job.

Miz dipped her hands into the dirty water right by where the pigs were kept, it was their drinking water but she was desperate to clean herself. She cleaned them the best she could, but nothing could erase the little cuts that the hay inflicted on her palms.

"My dear? Your tea is ready,"

"How did you-" Miz was cut off by her mother's melodious chuckle.

"We were given the tea by your aunty Monet, she got paid a grand amount last week." Her mother, Bob, walked over to Miz's crouching body and handed her a clay cup. The scent of the rich but cold liquid made her smile with relief.

"Thank you, mother." Miz took a shaken sip, her eyes closing in order to descend herself in another world, where she was able to always drink stuff like this.

"Oh, you look grey?" Bob cupped her daughter's chin and sighed. "You must be getting sick-"

"I'm fine, mommy, I just needed some water or something to drink, I'll be well again soon!" Miz flaunted a smile and her mother nodded securely. "Do you have enough tea for yourself?" Miz held her mother's dark hand, only to be met with sad eyes.

"We--Have enough-" She nodded and Miz sighed, her eyes looking down into her faint reflection in her cup. The sound of horses trotting along the path grew louder, and that indicated Miz had to get back to work. "Go on, darling, I will be waiting for you in here."

"Okay," She stood up and handed her mother the cup, before darting out with her skinny legs back onto the trail. A man, in his mid-forties, was waiting for his carriage to be loaded.

"You took your time," He spat, staring off into the fields, not caring for what Miz had to say or do.

"My sincere apologies, sir," She bowed down and quickly ran to the giant wall of hay, grabbing a bundle and placing it into the carriage.

"I would expect about six, not too many." He said with no emotion. She nodded and caught her breath. Only five to load and she can rest for a minute, or maybe a half.