I

It was balmy afternoon. The sunset was fading into splintering rays of gold. She stared blankly at the sun as the gray sky swallows its existence and thought of going home. She fumbled at the contents of her bag; taking out her wallet to see how much money she had left. She allowed a deep, frustrated sigh escape her lungs and made her way to the jeepney stop.

People horded, everybody is engulfed to his or her business. It was rush hour, and it was difficult to get into the vehicles, but she has to go home early. She has tons of things to do and she is not exactly used to it.

A red car stopped where she stands. From the window of the car, a familiar face flashed her a smile and asked her to get inside. She was hesitant, but she desperately needed a ride.

"If only I am not wearing these shoes.." She thought.

She looked at her uniform briefly and grew sick just thinking how could she wear such indecent outfit. She was wearing a short skirt that clung to her derrière and a white, cotton blouse that seemed to be shorter than it really was. She actually considered hanging to the back of the jeepney as most men would in case she had no choice. But fortunately or (unfortunately), this man arrived.

Releasing a growl, she gave in.

Inside the car, she thought irritably what this man wanted from her. Although she knew, she doesn't give a damn about it. What he had to say doesn't mean that much to her and it would not definitely leave a stigma to her life. 'He will ask me again. I know he would.'

Eyeing the woman beside him, Ric pursed his lips seeing her in such state.

"If onle she'd let me take care of her.." He thought.

He decided  to pursue his intention, but the notion came to him that she would refuse to consider it. Seeing her now, she is a silent, hard working girl that never let her heart out on her sleeve. One could easily determine her maturity and grit. God, the girl definitely has an abominable spirit. She is a reflection of a full-blown woman who learned from her mistakes, not the girl she spent the night with the garden 4 years ago.

The road heading to Quezon City was trying. Outside the traffic, the acrid smell of engine smoke and the ear-shattering honks of vehicles made her sank back in the car seat drowsily. She looked blindly in the scenes around her, the neon lights, and the people giving life to the city.

People squirming and swarming like ants finding their way home. The fancy restaurants and food chains towering her, suddenly, she was starving. She looked at her wristwatch, it's almost 6:30, and the afternoon's blaze is vanishing. The sky is turning gray, nearly black. Another day has passed..

Street children started to gather in every corner, getting ready for their sidelines. Unwilling as they might be, they seemed to enjoy whatever they are doing. Faster than four wheel drives, little girls selling sampaguita while other boys take their time selling cigarettes and candies or washing somebody else's car. Some of the boys just stood there, waiting for something to do, their targeted preys.. She shut her thoughts.

"How could she be concerned of other people's lives when she herself is having a dose of this poverty stricken society?"

They were stuck into traffic when a grimy girl tapped the window of the car. She seemed exhausted and helpless. She was asking for something, money or food perhaps.. The girl was barely clad; she seemed so innocent. But there was strange in the girl's eyes made her think she was not as innocent as her looks claim. The girl smiled slightly, there was no mistaking in the raw look in those eyes, -- and she had seen such look before..

The air became hot inside the car and a wet heat seemed to have risen all over her skin. There was shortness to her breathing, making it difficult to fill her lungs. She became aware of the unmistakable tension, throbbing between the girl and Ric. She knew she should alight the car and find her way home but the car moved, they were heading, leaving a smirk in the girl's features.

She could not believe it..

The ghosts of her past were like leeches emerging from the trench of wood and clinging hard gain deeper into her flesh.. sucking her blood. She wanted to vanquish the thoughts clouding her head, she wanted to be free herself knowing she will never engage herself into that turpitude again.

Consternating, she looked straight to the road.