Chapter 1

Beep - Message from Sahiba: Mumbai India

"Shehnaaz Kaur Deol, I swear I'll kill you one of these days. Why have you not been picking up my calls? You better not be planning on skipping my Shaadi. Kab tak will you avoid coming back; it's been four years; you've dodged every single important family affair, har saal we come to visit you, ek bhi holiday nahi miss karta hum yet you can't show up this once.

Sab ko teri kitni yaad aati hay we miss seeing you back home, where we grew up, Masi show nahi karti, but tera ko pata bhi hay how hurt she hurt was when you didn't show up for their 25th-anniversary party last year. How long will this go on? Is he that important ki tu hum koi bhul gayi? I don't care, I swear; I better see your ass at my engagement party this Wednesday; otherwise, you know better, I will seriously not go through with it.

Please, consider it, yaar; everyone will be so happy to see you. I need my sister there with me. So for me, please come. I love you, and I'm serious, Sana; it's time you move on. Call me back once you get time. Bye, Sanu."

Shoving the last remains of her belongings into the bag, she moved her luggage next to the corner table where her passport and ticket back to home laid. Home?

Sighing, she turned towards her bedroom window that overlooked the skylines of New York City. Sahiba was wrong; Mumbai was no longer her home; this was her home. She'd spent the last four years of her life here, where she finished off her education, built her career and most importantly, where she had learned to love herself again; this city shaped her into the woman she was today. It had seen her at her worst but still accepted her with open arms. Not everyone got second chances, but she had, and she didn't want to screw it up by going back to the very place that had caused her misery to begin with. Sahiba might be wrong about many things, but she was right about one thing, she had always been right about Sidharth Shekhawat. If only she had listened to her at the correct time.

Sahiba wasn't wrong in blaming Sidharth for being the reason behind her not coming back; Sana knew if she did, she wouldn't be able to face him.

But here she was, regardless of everything packing her bags for not just the week of the wedding but instead for the stay of six months. She knew if she'd gone back for just a couple of days, her family would've never had let her live it down. They would've ultimately resorted to emotional blackmail, resulting in trapping her there for a longer time. And to be quite honest, she wasn't ready for the guilt trip that would've followed if she'd only visited for a week. In one way or the other, she did owe it to her family for allowing her to live out her life as per her wishes; the least she could do was spend a little time with them. It wasn't like her parents were getting any younger by the minute; they deserved more than just seeing her twice a year for only two weeks. Truthfully, she knew that even those visits would become limited over time for various reasons, like growing old and not travelling for long periods. So she worked out the most reasonable proposition offered to her and landed herself a work opportunity in one of the cities largest hospitals as one of the exchange radiologists. Not only was this a great chance of furthering her work experience, but it also would offer her the right amount of balance between her personal and professional life during the stay. And most importantly, she wouldn't have to see him as much.

Please do Vote, Comment and Follow for more updates!

Copyright © 2021 by Pillowthoughhts

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or used in any manner.