two place in the philipines that will take you back 400 years

Being under the Spanish rule for more than 300 years, almost every town or city in the Philippines has architectural gems. While most have been sold off, or deeply neglected, or are already in ruins, some have thankfully survived through the centuries and are still intact and relatively well-preserved.

For the history buffs, these five heritage towns are worth visiting more than once.

Taal, Batangas

The charming town of Taal, 112 kilometers (70 miles) south of Manila, is more known for what is said to be the world’s smallest volcano of the same name. But there is more to discover here like the grand ancestral homes lining up its main street and the church of Basilica de San Martin de Tours, which is the largest in Asia.

In the late 19th century, the local coffee industry boomed. Due to the growing financial prosperity of middle class businessmen, numerous Bahay na Bato (stone houses) were built which we can all see still standing in the town today.

Taal Town | Photo by Jherson Jaya

Taal town is a marvel. Photography enthusiasts will surely have a great time paying Galleria Taal a visit. This is an ancestral house turned into a museum , which houses a collection of antique cameras and old photos.

For those who yearn for a taste of the past, Villa Tortuga offers a dinner package where you get to wear period dresses and have your pictures taken with faded photographs as your souvenirs. It is a perfect way to experience the life of the elite during the Spanish regime.

Basilica de San Martin de Tours Church, Taal, Batangas

Don’t miss visiting the mansion of local heroine, Marcela Agoncillo. She was one of the three women who produced the very first hand-sewn official Philippine flag which was unveiled during the announcement of Philippine independence from Spanish rule on June 12, 1898 in Kawit, Cavite.