Prologue

Some people might say it's a power.

Some say it's dark magic.

And others?

They say I'm crazy.

I'm not. I don't think I have, or am, any of those.

Miracles happen. And this miracle, just happened to be the one that changed my life.

I hadn't always been able to do this.

But, then again, I hadn't always read fanfiction about Demi Lovato, or even liked her for more than the recent years of my life.

I have had theories, though.

It might be a miracle, or I might actually have powers, but, of course, the most probable explanation is that I'm crazy.

However, what I like to think of it as, is as a blessing.

This didn't change my physical life, technically, since what I was doing was placing myself into another's shoes, but, oh fuck, it was good.

It made things a lot more exciting, but this didn't change the fact that my life was still a story, and a story is a story; I can't write it myself, as much as I hoped for.

People use the term 'story' to describe their life, metaphorically, and I use it too, but in my case, it's used in a literal sense. Because it really is a story.

Which leads us back to what my power is.

So what exactly my 'power' does is that when I read a fanfic, or, more, specifically, a Demi Lovato fanfic, well, things change. I'm not precisely sure if it takes me to another dimension, or if it's still on planet Earth, but, no one seems to remember after it's over.

No one but me.

But, anyway, back to my point.

It takes the fanfic out into the real world, and plays by real time. I'd be sucked into the fanfic that plays out, being whichever main character there is besides Demi.

I know it sounds crazy, but it really does happen. I'm not mentally ill.

So after my subconscious mind is done reading the story, I'd get this feeling; like this sixth sense, that it's over, and so I'd magically be moved back to my home in New York, and the memories of everyone around me would be erased.

It's cool.

I've been through a lot of fanfics in the past two years.

I'd been in one where I was a self-harming teen that Demi adopts. Well, actually, I've been in five of them. Those are the most cliche fanfics there are of Demi's out there. I'd have escaped those fanfics, but the thing is that I can't. It isn't possible. Once I start reading the fanfic, five seconds later I'm in whatever setting the fanfic is in, and I can't be moved back to New York until I've reached the end.

I've been in another few where Demi gave birth to me, and she abandoned me, and then came back later. Another cliche type.

One of those I've been in that I really liked was when I was being Naya Rivera, and she was dating Demi in the fanfic, and, oh God I think that was my favorite one. Because of the sex scenes in them, feel me? I regret nothing, 'cause have you seen Demi? That girl can get it anytime.

But let me tell you more about me. As a person and not someone forced into a character.

My name's Safae, but it's pronounced as Safa. Safae Marie Mason. It's one part of my life that never changes, despite the situation, I guess.