An Odd Beginning

As the girl lay sobbing quietly in her bed, she thought about what an uneventful life she had led. 16 years of nothing; sure, a few friends here and there, but none of them stayed. The thought of how meaningless her life was made her cry harder.
The tears streamed down her face as she pulled out her knife and opened it. She pressed the blade to her wrist and closed her eyes. She took one more breath and passed out, slipping into unconsciousness before she could harm herself.
The next morning, Roo reluctantly woke up for school. She put on a baggy shirt and jeans as she scrambled to pack her things. Roo was a very short girl, only 5ft tall; she had short black curly hair and brown eyes. She was chubby and had fairly large breasts, but that didn't mean anything to her.
She rushed out the door with her stuff and ran to her best and only friend, Riley's house. As she knocked on the large door, a tall slender high schooler appeared in the entry way. He was about 6'2 and had long blonde hair. As Roo made her way inside, the kid gave her a large hug.
"Riley. Can't. Breathe." She coughed out, as she returned the hug.
"Oh, sorry. I always forget how strong I am," Riley said in his mild voice. "So Roo," he said, noting the exhaustion on her face and tear tracks under her eyes, "did you sleep well last night?"
Roo sputtered a vague answer as she grabbed a piece of bacon to eat. "Are you ready for the thing today?" She asked Riley as they walked out the door, unaware of the things to come later that day.

A/N
This is my first story, so criticism is welcome, along with ideas on what to do.