Cԋαρƚҽɾ 7: Gσƚƚα ʅσʋҽ.

December 16, 1991

"Happy Birthday!!" Ranae's mother shouted as soon as she stepped foot out of her room. Today was the day she's finally been waiting on, to turn seventeen. She was still so young but hey, in another 365 days she'll be legal "Good morning!"

"Morning mama and thank you" She said dipping her index finger in the icing that was spread on the homemade cake. Ranae's mom did not play in the kitchen, she knew how to throw stuff down which is why they never had to spend money on outside food "This icing is delicious ma"

"Thank you sweety!" She pinched her cheek "So what do you plan on doing today?"'

She shrugged a shoulder "Me and the girls are planning on throwing a little get together here and a have a few others over" She said like it was nothing "Demarcus and his friends offered to buy food and everything"

Ranae hated that her birthday was in the winter. All they could ever do was stay inside. Nobody wanted to be outside where it was cold and slushy unlike the summer where they could've went to the beach or something.

"That's all?"

"That's it, unless you have something else in mind"

Her mother smirked and shook her head "Child you are something else but your father will stop by later on to give you his gift" Her dad was rarely at home, he felt that his job was most important but nobody could complain because it at least brought in some good money for the house "Have he called you yet?"

She nodded "Yes, right before I got ready" She gave a weak smile.

"Where the birthday girl at!" Ranae and her mother both heard her big brother shout as he made his way into the apartment. He came up and gave her a quick hug and handed her a small gift wrapped in pink wrapping paper with a gold bow "Happy birthday little girl" He said then playfully mushed her head.

"Thanks Demarcus, I'll open it later" She said sitting it on the table with a grin.

"My baby girl is getting so big" Her mother squealed dramatically while holding her face in her palms.

"Yeah about time" Ranae chuckled and her mother smacked her lips at the fact that she just ruined the moment "I'm tired of feeling like the baby around here" she admitted.

"But you are" Demarcus reminded her and she rolled her eyes.

Hearing loud knocks on the door Ranae scrunched her face up and went to answer it. Opening the door, all her noisy friends made their way in giving a group hug "Happy Birthday!" They all shouted in unison.

"Thank yawl, but it's too early to be that loud" She cackled "But any gifts?"

The girls looked between each other and shrugged "Not now but later on we will come up with something" Monique spoke first and kicked her shoes off before going to take a seat on the living room couch.

"Besides were your friends not your fairy godmother's" Alicia said following after Monique.

Ranae pushed the rest of them out of the way to close the door "That's a shame"

"I know yawl didn't just come in my house without speaking" Ranae's mother picked with the girls.

"Good morning Mrs. Stewart" They all said together with sarcastic smiles. Playfully waving them off Ranae's mom made her way back to the kitchen while the girls kicked it in the living room "So have you been speaking to Devante? It would be cool if you could get the guys out here for your party" Kiara suggested lowly hoping her mother or brother wouldn't hear.