CHAPTER 1

Her eyes, such a powerful but warm grey, digging into my soul had me transfixed. I rubbed my palms against my jeans, wiping off beads of sweat coming from my overwhelming nervousness.

Who was she? Why does she seem so familiar? As questions clouded my mind , I noticed her get into a pounce position, moving towards my direction slowly. Before I could react she took off into the woods behind her, leaving only the glimpse of her white fur, so pure, so stark embedded in my brain. I began to follow her trail when I heard a voice in the distance, "Alyssa!! Alyssa!"

I woke to my mom's voice, "Honey, its 7am , you're gonna be late."

I had that dream again. I've been having it for the past month, but I haven't mentioned it to anyone. It's the same scenario everytime but I don't know what it means.

As I push off the covers, I head to the bathroom and get ready. It's the last week before graduation and I cant wait for it to be over. High school being my worse life experience is probably so cliché . Yet thats what it was and I hated every second of it. I was just interested in getting my acceptance letter for college and moving out of the pack for good. This final week was for prom preparation and final college essay submissions . I submitted to a few but my teachers encouraged me to submit to a few more that were more " human centered " as they put it.

I adjusted my glasses in the mirror, giving my outfit a once over . Did it matter what I wore? Personally, no but anything that would get me noticed by the leagues of shifted wolves in my school was a no. I headed downstairs, grabbing my backpack and checking the time . I was going to be late.

" Now I know you're in a rush honey but please, no running, " said my mom, holding a plate of french toast, and a glass of juice, "breakfast?"

I grabbed a slice of toast and gulped down some juice, as I headed for the door, looking to my mom, "Sorry mom, and thanks."

That's been my routine for the past month, ever since those recurring dreams, I've always been late. School is only 10 mins away but, I've got only 5 minutes to get there as I got into my black pick up van and sped down the narrow road.

I lived in the Red Moon pack. It was a gated community or so it appeared to the outside world, as do most werewolf territories to protect us. Within our community, was businesses, schools, homes, and basically the necessary sustainabilities for survival. Werewolves did go into the human territory but this was our safe haven. The Red Moon pack was led by Alpha Edgar and Luna rachel, good leaders. My father , Zaric Peters was beta, and my Brother Zaine was to be the beta after. They were both handsome, strong, fearless, and brave,an ideal wolf . My mother, Audrey peters, was no exception, beauty, brains, strength and bravery. I was the odd one sticking out like a sore thumb.

Alyssa Peters didn't meet any of those qualities. I was smaller Than most girls, my age in my pack. My 5'3 height paired with my plain, black hair and dark grey eyes and petite figure was okay for humans but not to werewolf standards. I was a weakling in their eyes.
I'm born to both werewolves but I haven't shifted yet. Everyone does by 15 or 16, never this late usually. My parents insisted that I'm a late bloomer because my grandmother was human. Although my grandfather was a wolf, I haven't doubted the likelihood of being passed down the human trait. Honestly, 50% of me is scared and wants to become a wolf and feel acceptance but the other 50% won't mind living amongst humans and escaping all this hierachy nonsense, and feel as if I belonged. Such is my desperation to fit in, somewhere, anywhere..
As I pull into the parking lot, I hear the school bell and hurriedly grab my bag and rushed to the entrance. The corridor was empty as everyone was already in class, I was happy for that. I could do without the stares, the whispers and the taunts. I head to my home room at Room 34B and get ready for the day.

The morning went by longer than expected especially since I shared no friends here anymore. My one confidant, my best friend, found her mate and left the pack for the silver lake clan a couple months ago. Sarah was my only friend here and she shared in my awkward and depressing moments, always had my back .We still talk on the phone, but I wish she were here.

It's different without having that physical support but I know as Luna of her pack, she has too many responsibilites to prepare for right now. When she shifted, the bullying ceased for her by alot but they still teased her about hanging out with me, but she stayed by my side. Now that she's gone , I'm literally left to the wolves .

The bell rang, signalling lunch. That's the call for my daily taunts to begin. No one bothered me during changing of classes but now? This was their time. I hesitantly got up and exited the classroom with bated breath clutching my books.

" Just these few days lyssa and you'll be over it, " I try to convince myself.

I pushed the double doors that led to the cafeteria, taking in the sights and smells.
I managed the past few years here, a few more days won't kill me right?