PART I - The Box

In his closet. That's where it hidden. An entire year of his life. Just there. The box labeled "Donation clothes". Even though the items inside weren't going to Goodwill anytime soon. Anyone who asks what's in the cardboard box gets the same answer: "Nothing of interest, honestly."

    But really, there was a fascinating group of trinkets, weapons, gadgets, and armor in that little box. There were flyers from various clubs,  chain mail breastplates, scuffed and scratched shin guards, and board games with make-do pieces. There were role playing games and medieval shields and a worn out set of headgear.

    You probably guessed by now, but Finn Emerson was a total nerd in middle school. Good news: He wasn't alone.

    Even though Paxton East Middle School had a significant amount of so called  "Cool Kids", there were a few uncool geeks hanging around. He met up with them every Friday night in the library while his other classmates were having fun at parties. They would play Dungeons and Dragons and drink Mountain Dew till they were kicked out for being too loud.

    Through the years, Finn's interest in the world of video games and LARPing faltered. He completely stopped seeing his friends at the library. He he threw out all the comic books and cheat codes. He even stopped wearing his braces (But he was grounded for taking them off). So, now what?

    He begged and pleaded for his mom to move to a new town, but that was obviously not going to happen. Instead, he went to an academy all the way across town so he wouldn't see his friends. At the local drug store, he picked up a hair dye kit and dyed his hair beach blonde (His natural hair is auburn). He also thoroughly changed his wardrobe with help from his friend, Grady. They met at Banbury Academy of the Arts,  his new school. But that, my friend, is a story for another day.