.

I looked at myself in the mirror one more time. Why am I so nervous? We hung out every Friday, but this time was... different. I guess we had always kind of jokingly flirted with each other, but developing feelings? Totally unplanned.

I was pulled out of my anxious thoughts by my phone vibrating in my pocket. Why would he be calling this early? He shouldn't be here for another half hour.

Unfortunately it wasn't him, but my older sister Paige. I contemplated picking it up or just saving myself the headache. If I don't, she would just keep calling, so I'd better just get it over with.

"Hello?" I prayed she could hear my annoyed tone.

"Hi Maggie..." Oh no, she wanted something.

"What do you need?" The nervousness and agitation we're doing nothing to help my mood.

"What, I can't just call to say hi?" No

"Oh, please, you-"

"Ugh fine, I'm watching the Browns' kids and I need your help with something."

"What is it?" I asked, in hopes I could do it over the telephone.

"It'll be easier to explain in person. Please?"

No such luck.

I sighed. "I suppo-"

"Oh my goodness, you're the best. See you when you get here!" She hung up.

Begrudgingly, I made my way over to the Browns' house.

When I arrived, I barely got to knock on the door once before it swung open and I was very forcefully yanked in.

"Finally. God, what took you so long? Toby is almost here to pick me up." First, I noticed her outfit. Fishnets, a crop top, booty shorts, the whole shebang. Odd for babysitting, I thought,  but to each their own.

Then I realized what she said.

"Wait, pick you up? Paige I-" I was cut off by a honk from outside.

"C'mon, Mags please? Em's throwing a party and I can't miss it."

"I'm supposed to hang out with Daniel tonight! You go to parties every weekend!"

"You hang out with Daniel every weekend! There's chicken nuggets in the freezer! Bye!"

And she was gone. I was left staring at the door befuddled, bewildered, bemused, and every other B word until I felt a small hand tug at my sleeve.

At my side was Johnny, the Browns' son, looking up at me with a pleading expression.

"Yes?"

"Can we have ice cream?" I noticed his sister Delilah, had popped her head out from the doorway and was giving me the same look.

I quickly curbed my anger. The last thing I wanted to do was punish these kids for my sisters idiocy.

"Have you guys had food-food yet?"