In Which Karkat Learns the Meaning of Christmas

I looked up at the snow that came down, it was so cold and whenever I tried to catch some of the flakes, they just melted. I began to think how fucking cliche this was, it being the human holiday of Christmas and me being here in the Land of Frost and @#%^&. 

"Karkat, what are you doing," was the question that brought me back to this fucking ridiculous reality. 

I was stuck here with Kanaya, but that's not too bad I guess. I mean, it could have been someone like Eridan, or... Strider. I don't even want to fucking think about it.

"I'm thinking..." was the only thing I could say back. 

"Well, we should probably find somewhere to stay before we freeze to death, hm?"

I simply nodded in agreement.

After a nice silent walk, Kanaya and I found a cave big enough for the both of us. When we stepped inside I felt cramped, though the cave appeared bigger on the outside. Kanaya must have felt the same way because when she layed down to go to sleep, she squeezed against the wall, almost like she was trying to give me more room. I thought it was a childishly kind gesture, even thought I wouldn't have cared if she kept all the space she had. 

"Karkat?"

"What?"

"Do you hate me?"

I thought for a moment. Of course I didn't hate her, but why would she even ask that in the first place?

"No."

She was facing the wall, but turned her head to me to make eye-contact and to give me a smile. The only thing I could do was give a half-hearted one back. After that, there was a few minutes of an awkward quietness. It was very strange.

"Karkat?"

"Yeah?"

Kanaya hesitated.

"Would you be my moirail? Before you answer, I already know you're Gamzee's moirail, but can you be mine too?"

I hesitated as well.

"No, but I guess you can consiter me one, but it would never be real."

"... Okay. Thanks Karkat."

There was another few minutes of silence until I desided to make a conversation to lighten the mood of things.

"Hey Kanaya?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know what the meaning of Christmas is?"

"Rose told me once before, I think the meaning was a fat guy would give wigglers a gift, but steal their food in exchange."

"Okay, thanks Kanaya. Good night."

"Good night Karkat."