DreamWeavers

“Where is she? Where’s the girl!?”

 His voice was low and full of malice. The smile that the music had brought was quickly replaced with a sense of fear building in the pit of my stomach.  I shut my eyes, preparing for the worst part.

“She’s…long..go-gone,” the other voice spoke. It was strained and in pain as if something was constricting its breathing. “You’ll…never find her!” At the last words, a sense of strength and pride could be heard beneath the choking. And that scared me.

That strength and that pride was even more frightening than the pained gurgling sounds, the audible thrashing, and the callous, deep snicker that followed. It was even still more frightening than the pregnant silence that hung in the air, whispering thousands of different scenarios, each more grisly than the last into my ear. Even as the large, thumping sounds of the boots began to grow closer, I could only focus on that momentary glimpse of power in a dying voice.

 And it scared me like nothing else had before. I’d heard that voice before.

------

DreamMakers, a small portion of the population that can create and manufacture dreams. Humanity can't dream anymore, but with the help of DreamMakers, each night they can vicariously live a dream that they've purchased.

Minerva would give anything to live someone else's dream, even just for a night. No one else that she knows can dream, yet she's lucky enough to have horrible nightmares. Trapped in a world of constant turmoil, her re-occuring nightmares plague her as they begin to grow stronger and more vivid. What bothers her the most is that she can't seem to shake the notion that the dreams are somehow more than that.

When a DreamMaker comes to her school for a demonstration, the dream goes awry and Minerva unwittingly reveals her secret. One dream sets in motion a chain of events that will reveal the true character of the people around her, lead her to many of the answers she's sought her whole life, and open up her eyes to a whole new world of dreams and nightmares.