Folkin' Around (Ryden)

This book is dedicated to Delainey, Klaira, Anya, Rachel, Ryan Ross, and Brendon Urie

Ryan's POV

"Oh sh-" I heard Spencer yell from our rehearsal room. I had run upstairs to grab some Coke but I guess they got in trouble the second that I left.

"What is it this time Spence?" I groaned as I opened the door to the rehearsal room.

"I was messing around on the drums and accidentally flung my drumstick into my eye!!!" He snapped. I noticed Jon was snickering in the corner of the room.

"Your eye looks fine dude. Anyway, isn't that new guy auditioning today. Brent?" Jon said, in between laughs.

"Oh yeah, Brendon! I forgot about that. I'll go grab a coke for him too!" I left to go get the soda for him.

"Get some chips too!" Spencer added as I closed the door behind me. Just as I was starting to go upstairs the door bell rang.

Oh great. Must be Brendon.

I reluctantly walked to the door and flung it open. Outside on the steps stood a teenager, a little shorter than me, with dark brown hair covering his eyes. His eyes were big and brown and stared up at me in surprise.

"Oh! Um hi. I'm Brendon. Um I'm here for the um-"

"The audition," I finished his sentence. He gulped and nodded breaking eye contact and staring down at his shoes. "Come in here, we have all the equipment and stuff. You're trying out for vocals right?"

He nodded and followed me into the house.

"Don't say much do you?" I asked, abruptly stopping and turning towards him.

"I um, no. I mean, er," he searched for something to say. I knew I was making him nervous but he just looked so cute when he- wait what?

When we got back into the rehearsal room I introduced him to the band.

"Okay so this is Spencer and Jon. Spencer plays drums, Jon plays bass, and I play guitar," I motioned to the other teenagers occupying the room.

"Hey Benny!" Jon greeted him with a warm smile.

"It's uh Brendon," He quietly mumbled.

"Right. Sorry Brendon," Jon nodded at him.

"So, what song are you going to sing?" I asked Brendon.

"Um, Beat It by Michael Jackson," He gave a half hearted smile. He walked over to the mic in short strides, his fingers tugging at his belt loop on his black jeans.

Why am I noticing these things?

Brendon performed and a Capella cover of the song, blowing us all away.

"Oh. Well, that's settled. You're in!" I grinned widely. Spencer shot me a death glare. I gave him a look that said, what?.

"I'm going to talk to Ryan outside for a moment," Spencer shot a fake smile at Brendon. He grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the room.

"You can't decide these things without talking to us first!" He said to me, acting like what he was was saying was obvious.

"Oh. Well, wasn't he amazing? He's the perfect singer for The Umbrella Trees!" I got a little too excited.

You have to admit it Spencer, his voice sounds like chocolate dripping from an angels wings! Wait what?!

"Alright fine. But we need to learn more about him first," Spencer sighed.I agreed, eager to learn about his past, and maybe his future.