Chap 1 - Fantasy

Despite the fact that the sun was shining bright proving it was the biggest celestial body the earth could see, I couldn't feel the heat. Despite the fact that the tree's leaves above me were waving, I couldn't feel the breeze. I was with my bicycle on a small valley, waiting for someone. I was not sure for whom I was waiting, but I knew it was someone who would love me his entire life. Then I saw someone coming with a big, bright smile. Though I knew he was probably the most handsome man in the world, I couldn't see his face. I tried hard to look into his eyes, but it was like a blurred photograph. Still, it gave me a feeling I couldn't describe. It was so beautiful.

That did not last long when I heard a faint familiar voice which was getting louder and louder by the second. "Rishi, Rishi!!!" Someone was calling me, but I could not respond to her, or rather I should say I didn't respond.

"It's getting late!!! Your mama* will leave home in one hour." With an imaginary sigh, I realized where I was, and what I was doing. I was on my bed having a beautiful dream. But I didn't want to get up. I wanted to know whom I was waiting for. So, I ignored my mom and tried to retain my dream specifically the smile, his smile.

"Aren't you gonna get up, Rishi? Com'on now! UP!!"

I knew this was the limit. So I sat up and slowly opened my eyes into this cruel world, biting my teeth.

"Aiiish!!! It's too irritating to get up early during holidays, Ma*!! Please let me sleep just today. I promise I'll go there tomorrow." Having badly wanted to know who he was, I tried to convince my mom. But in vain.

"You know I don't appreciate breaking promises. I have told....."

"Got it. I'm going now" I cut her off to escape from her lectures.

My mom was a very gentle lady with lots of patience. But she couldn't tolerate breaking promises. So, I got up to get ready.

After about half an hour, I stood with my eyes on my bicycle, reminiscing the dream, specifically the smile, trying to get the full picture of the dream boy in vain. All I got was the faint picture of his bright smile, which was enough for "my heart to go on".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Good Morning, Thatha*" I greeted as I saw my Grandpa reading Newspaper outside in the garden. A smile popped out from nowhere as he heard my voice but his eyes were glued to the paper.

"Good morning, Thangam*" He greeted me back as he turned to another page of the newspaper.

"Where's mama*? He hasn't left, did he?" hoping a no from my Grandpa.

"No, he's inside, having breakfast." I thanked him as I went inside.

"Good Morning, Mama* and Athai*. Where's Kutti?" I greeted them as I sat down on the living room Sofa.

"Oh!! You are here. Kutti is still asleep in her room. Do the honor and wake her up. " My aunt replied. My uncle had finished his breakfast and was ready to leave so I told him about my mom wanting me to come here to collect some files.

"Oh, that! I almost forgot. Wait... I'll fetch it."

"Ok.. I'll be in Kutti's room."

Kutti, my cousin, is the only daughter of my uncle. Her name is Ramya. Kutti is her nickname. She and I are almost the same age. We are partners in crime from childhood. We did almost everything together except one thing in life and that was career. She took MBBS while I was waiting for the result from IIE, of course, an engineering college. It's not like we, Indian children, have options other than medical and engineering.

"Hey... Kutti, Aren't you ashamed of yourself? It's almost 8 in the morning..." I taunted her with a giggle as I shook her. She moaned and woke up after a while.

"Rishi?? What are you doing here at 8 in the morning?" She asked half annoyed, half surprised.

" Can't you see? I am waking you up, Idiot." I giggled again.

"Shut up! That's so lame." She snapped at me and after a while she excitedly exclaimed, "You got your result, isn't it?".

"Not yet" I replied with an obvious annoyed tone. "Then why are you even here?" She shrugged and went inside the restroom for morning rituals.

I wrote an entrance not too long ago for an engineering college named IIE and was waiting impatiently for the results. As I thought about it, I came back to the living room. It seemed that my uncle had left the files on the dining table. So I went to the kitchen to help my aunt. She was having a short coffee break when I entered.

"Did you have your breakfast?" My aunt asked with a knowing-smile which says 'I know you didn't' . Later after Kutti came, we both had breakfast together, spent some quality time, and went back home.

I reached home around noon. As soon as I reached home, I saw a bright smile from my mom. She handed her mobile phone, the screen displayed an email. I was overwhelmed with joy to see the result in the inbox.

After a few days of packing my things and hugging my mother, I was ready for my new college with lots of dreams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The words with stars to them indicate Tamil words, meaning of which are given below.

* mama - Uncle

* ma - Mom

* Thatha - Grandpa

* Thangam - A nickname which means gold

* Athai - Aunt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Readers,

I sincerely thank you guys for supporting me. I wish you very good luck. The support you give is my power. Keep Supporting!!! I will be back with another chapter next week.