Jealous Jesi

It was a nice and quiet day as Jezebel laid back on the swinging chair in her back porch. There was a slight breeze, but still it was hot. She didn't mind, though, she enjoyed the heat.

Her mind wandered as she gazed up at the sky, squinting her eyes. The feeling of freedom and happiness inside her was almost overwhelming. But being away from everyone made everything so peaceful and calm. The here and now was all that mattered to her.

Jezebel was never really noticed in her family.  She was just kind of... there. Her parents, along with her extended family, practically worshipped her older sister, Marie. Marie was beautiful and smart and funny and all that. But Jesi was boring to everyone else. There was nothing particularly special about her. Her life revolved around music so none of it wasn't like she wanted to be around her family anyways. But it doesn't mean that it didn't hurt when they wouldn't talk to her, or when they did they would only ask about her sister.

Even in school everything was about Marie. Jezebel wasn't bullied or anything, just mostly ignored. But right now everything was going good. She had a loving boyfriend named Michael, good grades, a couple of close friends, and had plenty of instruments to occupy her time. Everything was really great until the accident.

Jesi sat in the passenger seat of Michael's truck as they rode the highway. They turned onto and exit in order to get home from school. As they merged, a semi truck to their right didn't seem like it was going to budge, or able to for that matter. But Michael kept going.

"Michael! Stop! You're going to kill us." Jezebel laughed assuming her boyfriend was only messing around as usual. But he seemed to ignore her as he continued to turn.

"Michael! Seriously stop. This isn't funny anymore." She said with a panicky tone as she watched the semi come closer to her window. The mirror was scraping against the truck. And she turned to Michael one more time. "Michael...?"

Hours later Jezebel's family sat in the hospital, their eyes glued to her heart monitor. Michael was someone else in the hospital, doctors tending to his minor injuries from the crash. Jesi woke up and looked around at her family, whose faces didn't change as she sat up.

"Where am I?" Was the first thing she asked. With no response, she leaned forward and waved a hand in front of her mother's face. She didn't even blink.

Jesi stood up slowly,  expecting some sort of pain but receiving none. She turned back, noticing she was still laying in bed.

But she was standing.

She was looking at herself.

"Oh god." She whispered to no one in particular. "I'm dead."

But she was proven wrong by the heart monitor that still beeped beside her body.  She was in a coma, but her mind was totally separated from her body. Everything was so overwhelming that her vision began to fade, causing the world around her to go black.

She woken on the floor of the hospital room, her body remained in the same place but her family was no longer there. A nurse walked in, passing right through Jezebel as she went to check her vitals.

Jesi left the room, thinking that maybe if she went home this would all be over,  it would just be a bad dream.

She walked along the street, it was late and there were no cars out, not like it mattered anyway.  

When she reached her house, she passed through the walls to watch as her mother cooked dinner with dark bags under her eyes. Her dad sat at the table reading a book while drinking a glass of whiskey. Her dad never drank, and her mom never cooked. Did they really miss her that much?