Endless Drowners

My head submerges and my eyes find nothing but blackness beneath the deadly waves of a raging sea. I feel cold wrap it's chilly hands around my freezing torso before my mouth gapes open under the pressure. Lips in a wide 'o', arms flailing desperately,my thoughts portray the fact that there is nothing that can be done.

Gravity and the ocean's current tug relentlessly at my sodden clothes, dragging me through the water at an alarming pace. My lungs burn and my head aches from the lack of oxygen, but my mind accepts that, in pure and brutal truth, I am drowning and no-one is coming to save me, never has and never will.

As my fingers brush the silky sands of rock-bottom, a violent surge of rage and unbendable resilience rises up from within. Suddenly, my thrashing limbs cause my tiring body to shoot through the suffocating liquid, towards light. When I break the surface, I realise it is moonlight that gave me direction and tears spring to my stinging eyes at the thought,'I saved myself, I'm alive!'

Just as the panic fades and the triumph dominates all other emotions, the angry, unforgiving waves die and return to the soft, peaceful, undulating rolls of water that they were. I relish in victory, pumping my fist in the frigid night air while using my remaining limbs to keep afloat.

A relieved smile crosses my face in the moment before fatigue weighs down my body. My head disappears under the depths and the endless battle begins once more, as it always will.

And that is the way of a soul lost at sea.

~Cashy729