chapter 1: the woods

lower case intended

sky woke up, dirty and confused, dry blood forming scabs on her knuckles and upper lip. her head throbbing and pounding as if someone was hitting her repeatedly with a bat. she pulled herself up on to her feet and leant against a tree, focusing her vision on an object in front of her. as soon as she recognised the scruffy brown leather bag on the ground she panicked, falling to her knees searching the contents of the bag and breathing out a sigh of relief when her hands stroked the old dusty book she received from her mother when she was a teen.

all at once mis matched visions swarmed her mind, a faceless girl she didn't recognise was fighting her, she saw her pushing her and hitting her like her life depended on it, like if the mysterious and as far as sky knew, psychotic woman didn't beat sky to a pulp she wouldn't of walked away happy. sky replayed the memories feeling confused, she was trying to find the face of the woman in her visions but her head was pounding and the sound of a tree branch breaking brought her to a frozen state. she snapped her eyes open searching through the trees, she could hear dead leaves crunching under somebody's feet and without thinking she grabbed her bag, picked herself off the ground and ran. she ran as fast as she could. she didn't want anyone to find her and ask questions before she knew the answers. as she was running she saw her. the woman who was repeatedly punching her, she saw her in another vision.

"veronica?" she stopped running, she could hear the footsteps of the person chasing her getting louder but she was stuck, stuck in her own head picturing her childhood best friend punching the life out of her. all of a sudden she wasn't sky anymore, she could see herself though, like an out of body experience. like she had crawled up into one of the trees, out of her own body and was just watching her lifeless figure stand in the middle of the woods, mid october, broken. her memories of what had happened and the emotions spiralling in her head, she could almost see the trauma in her own face and then a scream.

"exc-" a mans voice, he started to speak but sky was so broken, she couldn't remember how she got here or why veronica was so mad and she screamed. she tried to run but the mans grip on her wrist tightened and he swung sky around, just like veronica did. the panic in her lifeless eyes startled the man in front of her, inches from her face that was cut and bruised and he let go.

"how did you get here?" he asked but the question seemed rhetorical, like he already knew sky wouldn't answer, he knew that the weird girl in front of him would just stutter the words "i-i do-on-t know" and stare into his eyes wondering if he was on her side or veronicas. in mid thought sky felt the guy grab her wrist again and pull her towards the direction she had ran from.

"where are we going?" sky shouted due to the pounding in her head, she couldn't hear herself think and for a second she thought she hadn't spoke loud enough for the man to hear her until he replied

"be quiet, its 3am"

3am? as in, she had been there all night, as in she stumbled into the wrong side of town, was beaten up by her childhood best friend and left to die. she felt sick, and she was panicking but she couldn't stop herself from dragging her feet behind the man directing her towards a large cabin. he helped her up the stairs and through the door and he directed her to a couch in front of a fire. he disappeared into what looked like a kitchen and returned with a cloth.

"here." he handed sky ice which was wrapped in a kitchen towel and sky pressed it to her lip and switched it to her head, which was where most of the pain was coming from.

"who are you?" he asked, he didn't seem angry, or sad, he didn't seem to have any emotion in him which panicked sky. she had been alone for the past two years running from her complicated past and after seeing veronica, she worried even more.

"they will find me here, I'm sorry for bothering you at such a late hour but i must go" sky reached for her bag and stood up but the man pulled her back down.

"i said, who are you?"

"sky."

"sky?" he replied.

"sky, sky bennett"

"how did you find these woods, how did you end up here?"

sky didn't reply, mainly because she didn't feel safe but also because she didn't know how she got here herself. she had a lot of questions that she couldn't answer and so she sat in silence until the man grabbed a blanket and a pillow.

"you can rest here for the night"

he disappeared down the hallway and  didn't come back so sky just sat there, next to the fire trying to piece her memories together.

---

okay!! so that was chapter one, who do you think the mysterious man was??? please comment theories and vote on this story thank uuuu

twitter: @/95untold