Enter the Vagabond

The thing about evil is that by the time you can tell it is coming, it's too late. The same is true for the Vagabond.

Sir James Ryan Haywood had been his name before his travels. That was a long time ago. It was before Funhaus.

As he rode on his mighty stead, the voices came back to him. He shivered as they whispered in his ear. Why didn't you save them Ryan? They were you're family! Ryan shook his head

"There was nothing I could do," he mumbled. The voices laughed at him harshly. Do you really think repeating that lie to yourself will make it true? We thought you were mad, not stupid. Ryan gritted his teeth as a cold wind swept by and snow started to fall. He lifted a hand out to catch some snow. The memories came back to him before he had a chance to stop them.

Ryan walked through the castle of the Willems with ease. Guards saluted him as he passed them by, as was customary for soldiers to salute their superiors, especially their general. No matter, it made him smile every time.

He continued to walk until he reached the throne room. The guards on either side of the large wooden doors saluted him and then let him enter.

King James Willems and Queen Elise Willems sat on their thrones, talking to each other. The king finally turned his attention towards Ryan.

"My king," Ryan said as he bowed. He noticed the queen looking at him with a look he had seen many times: desire. Ryan had never given in to her before, for he had a wife and kids he loved dearly. That and certainly defiling the bed of his king would lead to his execution. "If I may ask, why have you summoned me here today?"

"As you know, the barbarians of Screw Attack have laid siege on our walls recently. One of our scouts has reported spotting their troops marching here from the east. We of course will lay waste to them all." The king clasped his hands together. "Last month Queen Elise discovered she was carrying my heir in her belly." Elise rubbed her stomach with a smile on her face. James only rolled his eyes. "This is where you come in, Sir Haywood. I am entrusting you to guard the queen while we are in battle. Under no circumstances is any harm to come to our child. Do you understand?"

"Yes you're highness."

"Good. You are dismissed."