Prologue: That Wretched List

Louis~

I wish that I didn't sometimes, but I remember everything about that cursed, unspeakable unhappy night fifteen years ago, when I was just three years old and both my parents were murdered.

I was taking an ordinary can of Play-Doh down from the playroom shelf when my mom called from the top of the basement stairs.

''Louis? Dinner will be ready in five minutes. Time to start wrapping things up, honey.''

Finish? Already? I made a face. But my latest masterpiece isn't done yet!

''Yes, mom.'' I called. ''One minute. I'm making Play-Doh history down here.''

''Of course you are, dear. I would expect nothing less. Love You. Always.''

''Love you back, Mom. Always.''

In case you've already noticed that I didn't speak like a typical three-year-old, well, you should have seen what I was building.

I stared at the museum-quality replica of the Lighthouse of Alexandria I was trying to finish.

Behind it, all the way to the edge of my worktable, stood matchless reproductions I'd made of the remaining Seven Wonders of the Ancient World:

The Great Pyramid of Giza

The Hanging Garden of Babylon

The Colossus of Rhodes

The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

The Statue of Zeus at Olympia

The Mausoleum of Mausolus

I would have liked to do the Cathedral of Notre Dame and the Chrysler Building as well, but I was only allowed one hour of playtime a day.

I squinted suddenly as I spotted what looked like a tiny, flat black seed climbing up the side of my miniature lighthouse, and really moving too.

Whoa there, little guy! Where do you think you're motoring to?

It was an Arthropoda Arachnida Acari Metastigmata, I thought, recalling the phylum, class, order and suborder of the tiny creature at a glance. A tick. A young male dog tick, to be exact.

''Hey, little fella,'' I whispered to the tick. ''You on a sightseeing tour?''

Two things happened next, almost simultaneously. Two very odd and unforgettable things.

There was a strange shimmering at the back of my bright, turquoise-blue eyes.

And the tick slowly rose onto its hind legs and said,

''Hey Louis, my brother, you do real nice work. Cool lighthouse!''

I laughed hysterically as the lickety-split-quick tick crawled higher and higher on the lighthouse. Well, technically I was the one making it crawl, and tell jokes.

With my mind!

Yes, you heard that correctly, I was causing the tick to do tricks and also talk. It's a talent I have. Long story. Good story, but not for right now. Something earth-shattering was about to happen at our house.

Anyway, I had the little fellow give a wave before it flipped forward and did a one-clawed handstand on the top of the lighthouse. And at the exact, unforgettable instant, I suddenly flew back off the bench as a wall-shaking explosion detonated in the room above my head.

Something enormous had just crashed into the kitchen! Was it a freight train? A plane?

A sick feeling ripped through my stomach. Where was my mom?