What if... (Angst oneshot : D)

A/n: howdy there!! Recently got into this ship and had to write me some angst :D!!  TW for blood mentions, bad memories, and mentions of injuries along with severe medical treatments (i.e. sewing up skin)

Now, Bruce Wayne had had his fair share of absolute suffering, and honestly this wasn't too bad considering some of the wounds he had experienced.

But when he came limping home to the manor, breathing ragged and heavily bleeding from a wound in his gut, he admitted this hurt. As he went to go patch it up he ran into a very worried Joker.

Seems his boyfriend had been up all night again.

The second that Joker - or John as had been recently revealed – laid eyes on the wound his mouth fell open and his usually ghostly skin managed to somehow go a tint paler with fear. "B-Babe what in the-..." He didn't let himself finish, grabbing Bruce by the wrist before leading him to the medical bay area, hands shaking with both the force of the grip and with the fear coursing through his veins. "I-I'm gonna fix you up... Okay?"

Bruce pursed his lips in worry before giving a small grunt of pain, doubling over for a split second and accidentally pushing hard on his wound, blood spilling from between his fingers and streaming out onto the pristine floor, his eyes rolling up slightly. John's green hair puffed up suddenly along with his chest before he quickly stuffed a rag to the wound, hyperventilating as he frantically searched for the hydrogen peroxide and sewing supplies to stitch up the wound. While his dilated pupils scanned through the cabinets at insane speeds for the sought-after supplies, his mind began to wander a small bit to... Older days.

'What if I had done this to him?' Was the only thought on his mind. 'What if I had done this and I couldn't help him?' The Joker's hands began to shake even more now as he tried to stave off tears of both relief and utter guilt and self-loathing as he pulled the medical tools from the cabinet, turning to see a worried looking Bruce.

"John? John, look at me, it's not that bad, I've had worse... I'll be alright, I have you here to help me." Bruce gave what he desperately hoped was a calming smile to his boyfriend, clearly shaking and tearing up before thrusting over the bottle of peroxide.

"Y-yeah... You'll be ok..."John gave a tittering and nervous laugh, raking his fingers through his hair before grasping at Bruce's face, kissing his nose and trying to control his breathing. When he spoke, he muttered it against his lover's skin, eyes squeezed shut. "What if I had hurt you though?"Bruce's brows came together in confusion as he effortlessly poured the liquid onto his wound, only letting out a small gasp at the sting. "Babe- John... Hey, focus. You didn't hurt me. You didn't do this, you're good now. You're kind, and you care about me. We're ok, you're ok."Joker swallowed hard, letting the tension ebb from his body as he slowly wrapped his arms around Bruce, being careful not to squeeze as he whispered softly.

"Yeah... We're ok."