Chapter 1

I was in the silverware, I was where the light never hit, I was in the cream colored walls, in the paintings, the sheets, and the floors.

I was watching for over a decade. Always there, always watching, and forever silent.

I watched as the young infant grew into a young man, just shy from being a proper adolescent. I was there to bare witness to the happiest of moments, where playing and having fun was all there was to worry about. I was there as the boy faced tragedies far beyond his age and even then managed to walk forward towards his goal.

Unwavering and determined.

Many believed that he would never make it -that he was weak and sickly- and yet he rose to the challenge and left everyone astounded and begrudgingly earned their respect and scorn.

Alas, the story didn't end there just yet.

The child lunged head first into danger, honed his mind, and vowed never again to become a victim to someone's greed.

Tainted his hands with the sinful red of one's essence and bore its burden on his dainty shoulders. Inspite of that he still had a pure ambiance. Thus, he became a bacon of light for the lost souls.

His attitude however could drive anyone up the wall, and how amusing it was to watch. Especially when the victim was that fox that accompanied him like a shadow...

Even though it was I that was the darkness that lingered behind him like a lost puppy, foolishly hopping to be the one to consume him, even with the knowledge that I was no greater demon, no greater darkness, and in no position to do so.

I was the observer of the story, I had witnessed the agony, the pain, and the struggle. I witnessed a soul that never got tainted and forever my hunger grew for it even as it was snatched away as I helplessly watched for I am a mere shadow...