The Moon and the Stars

Space is cold, dark, and lonely. Rachel knew this well having to sit alone on her moon like a pearl in a freezing ocean. Her only form of entertainment was when she could collect moon dust, weave it into thread, and stitch up the damaged stars she came across. They were so warm, not too hot like a sun, nor as cold as a moon. When she held a star in her hand, the feeling could be easily compared to a cooling cup of hot cocoa. It was so comforting and cozy, she wished that she could hold it forever, but it would die if it were damaged for too long and stars are so full of life and energy that as soon as she was finished fixing it, it'd zip off into the void. She had tried stitching slowly but the thread was so cold compared to the warmth of a star that it would quickly fade. So stitching a star would only last about a minute or two, but every opportunity she had to hold a star in her hands was one she'd cherish.

 So stitching a star would only last about a minute or two, but every opportunity she had to hold a star in her hands was one she'd cherish

She wouldn't have felt so lonely if she could at least make something of her own, but she was only good at sewing. Thanks to her precious moon, she always had a large supply of thread to sew with. Well... until the moon started to receive damage.

Some cracks were easy to fix, they only required small stitches. Unfortunately, others were much larger. This wouldn't have been a problem if some of the pieces weren't knocked out of reach when a comet flew by and grazed her moon, but because they were, she was continuously losing large chunks of it. If she had the strength to leave the gravitational pull of her moon, then she would have gone out to collect the lost pieces, but by the time the gravity had lost enough strength for her to be able to do so, her moon was very small and the pieces were nowhere in sight.

She started to think, "If I'm so worthless that I can't protect a single moon, is it even worth this lonely existence?" Her knees were hugged to her chest and her eyes were glassy as she sat there on her moon that had become so small that it was almost unrecognizable. She decided that she would wait for a comet to hit her, wiping her from the face of the cosmos.

 She decided that she would wait for a comet to hit her, wiping her from the face of the cosmos

So, that's what she did, she waited. She waited for what felt like weeks but could have very well been months, she couldn't tell the difference anymore. Eventually she got what she was waiting for: a comet. But it didn't hit her, instead it drove itself straight through her moon, digging itself into the core and splitting it in two. While she knew that this was going to happen eventually, she had hoped that her moon's destruction would take her with it.