Chapter 1

I hear a loud commotion, the source both near and distant, loud and quiet, gentle and jarring simultaneously, it's speaker uttering pure paradoxical nonsense, and, quite bizarrely, I can faintly smell the scent of liquorice, and I see nothing but intangible nothings, wisps of reality. I try to speak, but my mouth fills with a liquid, surprisingly pleasant to the taste. I take a moment to try it, and it has a sweet, sugary taste. I cannot help myself, as I bring large handfuls of it to my mouth, and the swirling colours, which are all I see, get brighter and more vivid, and the noises dull, until they are just a murmur.

I outstretch my arms to either side, trying to get a sense of where I am, but all I feel is the endless slurry of the mysteriously soothing substance. Whatever it is, it must be dense, as my breathing is uninhibited, so I can assume I am not wholly submurged. Noting this, I reach upward, and I feel a firm object above me, and as I grope around I conclude I must be in some form of tank, with a circular hole at the top, the perfect size for my escape. But whatever I had eaten seems to have affected me somehow, as I gradually lose coherent thought, my mind wandering, until the last thing on my mind is escape. I drift to sleep, feeling completely at ease.