The Phone Call

When a loud buzzing intruded Ross' sleep, he jolted awake in panic. Realising it was his phone, he hurriedly snatched it from his bedside table and checked the caller ID.

It was Laura.

He hitched himself up on one elbow and answered the call.

"Laura, what's wrong? Why are you calling me at 4 in the morning?" Ross asked, concern etched in his voice.

"Brandon" Laura breathed. "He-he broke up with me"

Ross took a deep breath as his nostrils flared in anger. He knew that boy was bad news; and now he had hurt his best friend.

"Meet me at the beach. I'll be there right away" Ross said before hanging up and hastily getting dressed

-

Just before sunrise, Ross and Laura both arrived at the beach. Once Laura spotted Ross, she immediately ran straight into his arms. Ross held her close and rubbed her back.

Laura squeezed Ross tighter as her emotions drained out of her like a river, and rested her head on his chest. Ross pulled back slightly and looked at Laura's tear stained face. Her eyes were burning red and puffy due to all the crying.

Ross wiped away all her tears and allowed himself to melt into Laura's arms as she poured out all her anger and grief to Ross in a tight embrace. Her sobs grew louder and her heart ached more and more with every tear that fell.

"I thought he loved me!" she cried out.

"I know, baby" Ross whispered soothingly. Cupping Laura's face with both hands, he pressed his lips against her forehead and tucked a clump of her hair behind her ear.

After Laura stopped crying, they sat down on the sand with their feet dipped in the sea. Ross put his arm around Laura's waist protectively as she leaned on him, her head just above his breast bone, and closed her eyes.

They watched the sun rise at the stroke of 6am, and enjoyed the peace and their own company.

"That guy is crazy to leave a beautiful, amazing girl like you" Ross huffed. Laura sighed. "He's out of the picture right? Because you're way too special to be treated this way."

"You always know exactly what to say" Laura smiled before muttering a friendly, 'I love you'.