Waiting for Superman // Larry Stylinson

September 6th

You know that boy that’s been sitting on the pavement in front of the store where they sell comic books? Yes the one I can see from the window in my livingroom.

He’s not there anymore.

I used to see him every day as I walked past the store, it didn’t matter if it was raining or if it was freezing, he’d still sit there, looking up at the sky with a small smile on his face. It was almost as if he was waiting for someone to show up.

He can’t have been older than fifteen, but he was beautiful, god he was so beautiful. His green eyes always seemed filled with hope, even if the rain was pouring down, he seemed so certain that whatever it was he was waiting for would happen.

Even though he sat there every day for months, I never tired to talk to him, not once, and I don’t think anyone else did either. I wish I had, I really wish i had just stopped for a while one of those days when I passed him on the street, just to ask what he was waiting for. I really wish i had, because what can get someone to wait outside for months, what can be that important?

*

September 14th

I went to the store the boy used to sit in front of today, just to see if anyone in there knew anything. And I guess you could say I was lucky, because just as I entered, a woman asked the manager about the boy, and he told her he’s been wondering where he went too. I didn’t want to get involved in the conversation so I pretended to be looking for something, just to get closer.

The manager told the woman that he once went out to the boy and asked him why he was sitting there, why he didn’t go home and got some sleep. And the boy had answered.

“I’m waiting for someone.”  Just those four words, that was all he said before turning his attention back to the sky. The man didn’t give up though, and the next day he sat down next to the man again, this time he asked him why he didn’t go home and got something to eat. He told the boy that whoever it was he was waiting for would wait for him as well, but the boy shook his head and told him he didn’t want to risk missing him. Miss who, was the man’s next question. Who is it you don’t want to miss.

“Superman, I’m waiting for Superman.”

Superman, Superman. Now you’re wondering why anyone would sit on the pavement for months waiting for someone who isn’t real, aren’t you? I used to ask myself the same question, but I think I understand it now.

What I don’t understand is why his Superman never showed up.

*

December 15th

He’s back. The boy is back. I saw him this morning, I had just gotten out of bed and was just walking through the livingroom when I saw something down on the pavement across the road from my apartmentbuilding, and when I looked closer I saw him. He was sitting there just like he used to, almost as if he never left in the first place.

Even though it’s really cold outside now, he’s not wearing a jacket, he’s wearing the exact same clothes as he did three months ago. As I walked passed him today, I noticed a comic book in his hands, but I think he’s always had it, I just didn’t notice until now. How comes I never noticed that when I know exactly what his eyes look like?

*

December 17th

I was going to talk to him today, I really was, but once I left my apartment I was already late for school and I had to run.

No don’t look at me like that, you haven’t talked to him either have you?

I’m still going to go to the store and ask the manager if he’s talked to the boy since he got back ,if he knows why he disappeared. I don’t really know why it means so much to me, but there’s something about those green eyes that’s stuck with me.