Friends?

What exactly are friends?
I understand they're more than acquaintances.
But they're less than dating
The definition of friends is "a person whom one knows and with whom has a bond of mutual affection"
But that doesn't seem like a friend.
Does it?
Friends in Elementary through high school seem like more than that. They're almost inseparable and are always together.
But statistics say that "about seven years" is the average friendship length. That's means that friendships end before you graduate middle school. So is there a point to making friends? Plus friends are harder to make than extroverts make it out to be. "Go out there and find someone to talk to make friends! It'll be fun!" But then when you try to make friends with people they already have their own friend groups and you feel pretty much left out. You're back where you started.
In some cases friends. They keep you company and talk to you about your problems. But they're not always there when you need them.
My conclusion...My final idea on the subject of friends. Is to make them.
Yeah, they don't stay long. But they're there to keep you company and make you feel better while others may bring you down. Friends are considered a mutual bond, but that mutual bond better than nothing.
Right?