After the Storm

Sweet Serendipity... that unexpected meeting that changes your life.
- Alexia

*******

Cris POV

JFK Airport, New York

"Do you have an idea when the flights would resume?" I asked, even though I am probably the hundredth person who asked the ground crew that question.

"I'm really sorry Miss, I couldn't say when the operation would resume." the ground staff replied apologetically.

I looked around, and even though it's still daytime the outside of the airport is all dark and gloomy, a hurricane is currently rummaging through out the city and all flights have been cancelled. I sighed, I guess there is nothing else I can do anymore.

Everywhere I see, people are lining up at all the different airlines trying to get an update. Everyone wants to go to their own destination, even though we all knew its pointless to ask, I guess asking give us assurance that all will be well.

I laughed bitterly in my head, maybe the hurricane is telling me not to go, to stay, because it knows, that is what I really wanted to do.

I came to New York, two years ago. My mother was against me going because she said I should be at home, married with children. She doesn't see the need for me to go to New York to work and leave my boyfriend behind in the Philippines. She said Ryan was capable enough to support me and our future children. Luckily my father talked her into letting me go, but for a limited period only, and that period ended a few weeks ago.

My mother called me three weeks ago, she said that its time for me to go home, I procrastinated enough and I should go home and get married. Ryan called me after that, to tell me that he and my mother already agreed for us to get married. The two of them decided its time.

I wanted to scream, why are they deciding for me? I have a good job in New York, I love what I am doing, I am earning enough money. I am enjoying my life.

I sighed, my mind is in a clutter right now, I have too much going on inside my head. I have lots of questions and what ifs, this hurricane is not helping.

"Can you at least tell me the earliest flight? I really need to fly back home." I heard a guy asked the ground crew beside me. He looks a bit Chinese to me but I am not sure though. "I really need to be in Korea tomorrow." he continue with a plea, he suddenly turn and look at my direction.

I feel a bit ashamed for listening to their conversation, but he smiled at me, I nodded and smiled back. I thanked the crew who assisted me and left to find a place to wait out for the hurricane to calm down.

I roam around the inside of the airport, trying to find a place to sit down or rest, but with the hurricane wrecking havoc outside and thousands of people stranded inside the airport, it's almost impossible to find a place to sit down.

I decided to enter Starbucks, and order a green tea latte and bagel to go. I'll just find a space later and lean my back against a wall, it should be fine it's not as if I have a choice now. I laughed bitterly, Why am I'm always robbed of having a choice?

Due to the amount of people stranded at the airport, it took me a while to even finished paying and claiming my order, though luckily, when I was about to leave the cafe, I saw a couple seemingly fighting and suddenly vacated a table, I rushed to get to the seat as it is hard to actually find an empty seat now with the current situation as it is.

I was sipping my latte when I saw the Chinese looking guy from earlier at the counter, he's looking around the cafe, probably looking for a place to sit. I was about to turn my eyes away from him, afraid he might see the vacant seat in front of me, I'm not sure I'm up for company at the moment. But I was too late, he saw me and head to my direction.