1

He saw it. He stepped up and picked it up.

It was a penny that had been scraped and beat up since it was made in 1975, a year after he had been born.

He held it in his right hand as his left hand dug through his pants pocket for change. He added up the pants change and it was $3.34 and with the penny he added it all together.

He went into the market that was connected to the gas station. He found the can of food he wanted and then got a bottle of water.

He went over to where the burgers were being kept warm in and got a small bowl. He went to the cashier and was fourth in line as he calculated his purchase with tax included. The cashier scanned his two items and shrugged his shoulders when he handed him all his coins. The cashier counted it all and nodded his head and I said thanks and I don't need a receipt or a bag. He had the exact amount he had needed.

He walked across the parking lot and road to the bushes that were nearest the road. He passed them and Sam was sitting next to my pack. Sam got up when he saw me as he got on one knee and patted Sam's head.

He got the can of dog food he bought and opened it and set it down in front of Sam. Sam sniffed it then ate a little a bit of it. He got the plastic bowl and put it down, also, and filled it up the from bottled water he had bought. He sat down and watched Sam feast as he took sips from the remaining water in the bottle. It was just a little after 8 in the morning and today was going to be a good one, he told himself.