Constant Craving

Maybe a great magnet pulls
All souls toward the truth
Or maybe it is life itself
That feeds wisdom to its youth
Constant craving
Has always been
——Constant Craving, k.d. lang

November 22, 2018

Grayson supposed that it should have come as no surprise that Cait knocked Thanksgiving dinner out of the park. Not that it didn't stress her out to no end, but from the low fat pumpkin muffins she made for breakfast to the homemade potato and leek soup, the marinated vegetable salad and the perfectly cooked turkey with homemade stuffing and fluffy mashed potatoes, it was food nirvana.

For dessert, she'd made that Irish Oatmeal apple crisp.  Grayson didn't normally eat dessert during the season, but he couldn't resist.  And the taste of that brought back a fond memory of a different Thanksgiving dinner and the moment he'd realized that he was actually in love. 

Unfortunately, shortly after the dishes were done, he had to leave for LA. There was a bit of chaos as everyone got packed up and out, his parents and Tonan headed to the airport where Cait would drop them for their flight before leaving for Vail on a private plane. Cait had to pack up Tyler and take him with her.  And Grayson was off to travel with the team.

"I ate so much I'm gonna sleep all the way to LA," he groaned as he zipped his bag. "You went to entirely too much trouble, Kitten."

"I tried to keep it healthy," Cait said quickly.  "Used low fat buttermilk in the mashed potatoes.  And no turkey fat in the gravy."

"Babe, it was perfect," Grayson smiled and pulled her close.  "Thanksgiving can be a cheat day.  And you made such an amazing dinner.  Wish I didn't have to run out the door."

"Me too," Cait sighed.  "Seems like I've barely seen you."

"I know.  But it's better than last year, when we didn't see each other for weeks.  And you should see your family and get some rest.  I'll see you late on Sunday," Grayson told her.  "Hopefully those dark circles under your eyes will be gone."

Cait sighed at that. "Still miss you," she mumbled.  She was flat tired. She had been for a week or so. But holidays could do that to anyone, she supposed. "I think I might sleep for a few days straight."

"Somehow, I doubt Connor will allow that to happen," Grayson chuckled. "He's gotten very attached to you."

Cait smiled slightly at that. "I think he tolerates me because he likes you," she said.

"Nah," Grayson grinned. "He might not say it very often, but he loves you, sweetheart. Which just shows what good taste he has." He turned her face up for a kiss. "Gotta go," he said softly. "I love you, Caitlin. And I'll see you on Sunday night."

She closed her eyes to fight off sudden tears and nodded. "Love you too."  Grayson pressed one last kiss to her forehead, grabbed his bag and his pink backpack, and headed out. Cait heard him tell his parents and Tonan to have a safe flight, that he'd see them in LA and go out the door.

She zipped her own bag with a sigh, wiped her eyes and forced herself to put on a smile for Grayson's family.

*****
Grayson was thinking as he drove. He hadn't told Cait much of anything yet, but eventually he was going to have to fill her in on everything that Bryan had told him about his discussion with Stacy. And about Phil's suspicions about her skiing accident.