Prologue (aka an excuse for me to publish something)

I watched the ships with the green symbols on their flags slowly approach. Cannons were on the sides. Ballistas and catapults stood guard at the front.

"Let's go tell Dad." I heard my sister's voice chirp.

"You're not usually so eager to talk to someone other than me, Nyki."

"Yeah, well this - this, this looks serious. That looks like the symbol of the Hunters."

I hissed in disgust. The Hunters. They were the reason that the dragons left. And from the looks of the ships, we wouldn't be able to fight them.

"Coming, Eeri?" said Nyki quietly - probably thinking the same things as I was. I turned away from the ships, unable to look at them a moment longer.

Nyki jumped down the mossy rocks ahead of me. She glanced back at the ships angrily and warily, then jumped onto the zipline leading down to the village from the seastack. I followed once she had landed, enjoying the momentary rush of wind which blew my flaming red hair back, trying to imagine that I was flying through the air on a dragon's back. I landed lightly, and raced back down the rocks to the chief's hut.

When we got to my house, I listened carefully and heard Dad discussing the ships with one of the watchmen already. I wasn't going to knock and interrupt - at least, not until I heard the foghorns announcing incoming ships. I knocked on the door frantically.

"Uh, Dad? I think we may have a problem..." I said nervously as Nyki frantically mouthed 'Hunters incoming!'