Chapter 1

On May 13th, 2016 I moved to New York. I had been living in a small town in Alabama when my dad got a new job that moved us here. Now I'm not talking the out skirts of New York. I’m talking the big apple, New York city baby! I was 14 at the time and the school year had just ended; well in New York it had. So, I finished my remaining school work in the car ride there. 

Basically, it was the summer before my freshman year of high school, and boy was I nervous. In Alabama I had left behind my one and only friend, Julie. I’ve known her since kindergarten and she was the only one who would talk to me on the playground. We would play dress up and tag. Wewould pretend to be fairies and run through the trees at recess. How I missed kindergarten. But I was here now, 14 years old and in New York city. I was shaken out of my thoughts when my dad blared the car horn. I looked up to see a giant building with many floors. “Welcome home!” my dad exclaimed. We walked into the lobby of the building we were to stay in for however so manyyears. My dad checked us in and my mom and I went to go explore. Turns out these were luxury apartments my dad's work was paying for. On the first floor they had the lobby obviously, a few shops and restaurants, along with the gym. The next few floors were apartments. The fifth floor had a library, a study nook with a few shiny black leather chairs, a wooden table, and a few computers. Next to the library was a coffee shop that was free for people staying there. The next 10 floors were apartments (obviously skipping floor 13) and the 17th floorwas the suites. The top floor, (floor 18) had an indoor hot tub with a small pool, and a rooftop pool with a bar and a view that made the long drive up here worth it. My mom and I stood in awe, taking in every glistening rooftop and sky scraper. If you looked down, you could see themain Broadway building! We were interruptedby the ping of my mom's phone. It was a text from my dad saying all our stuff was in our suite and we could come down when we wanted. Wait! Did he just say suite!?  

I quickly ran to the elevator with my mom not too far behind. We went down a floor and I sprinted to the room number dad texted me. 1703. It took a little while though, considering I had just gotten here. As I was finding my way, I took time to take in my surroundings. A dark almost black woodencolor coated the floors. The walls were as white as freshly fallen snow, and an abstract painting hung on the wall every so often. When I reached the end of the hall, I found my suite. It was corner room and every suite had a black door with a silver handle. I knocked on the door just as my dad was opening it. “Hey sweetie,” he said with a smile, “The bedroom on the bottom floor is your mom and I's, next to it is my office and the upstairs is all yours!” I smiled and raced upstairs as I took in our new apartment. To the right of the door was a hallway with my mom and dad’sbedroom, office, extra bedroom and extra bathroom. To the left was the kitchen, which by the way, was beautiful. As you walk into the apartment there are 3 floor-to-ceiling windowsthat showed off the amazing New YorkCity view. The living room that stood before it had a black leather couch with 2 fluffy white stools, a glass coffee table and a book shelf with a T.V. that slides up from the shelf! To the right of that was a glass spiral stair case that lead up to my floor. as I walked up the stairs I looked down on my new apartment, how lucky I was to be here. My “floor” consisted of 3 parts; a big room with a bathroom attached, that would be my bedroom. A smaller room, that would be my closet/get ready space, and an open area with another floor-to-ceiling window that over looked the beautiful city that I now call home.That night I slept in a sleeping bag on the floor. This was going to be a good summer. 

Or so I thought.