Cruising The Mekong In Vietnam And Cambodia With Uniworld

Vietnam's capital exudes all the charm of the Southeast Asian city with a colonial French sway, alongside old world custom from centuries past.

It's a place where gourmet cuisine shares equal popularity with street food, and exceptional coffee is the standard. Tree-lined roads, cultural activities, parks and museums beckon travelers to see Hanoi and spend sometime within this metropolis. Even an extremely long weekend holiday could offer some interesting sightseeing excursions and memorable encounters. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUWFAetXues Intercontinental Hanoi Westlake]This bicycle rickshaw ride is a fantastic method of preview attractions in town and matters that you could hit as you go along, for example curbside Bia Hoi (draft beer) stands, pho (noodle soup) sellers, fresh fruits available, assorted grilled snacks, knickknacks and mementos. Cyclos are also used only as a form of transport taking one man each, and are best-kept for shorter spaces or when not in any hurry. Fares are negotiated and change depending in the length or time demanded. Water puppetry is an early traditional art form which has grown over a thousand years past from visit Intercontinental Hanoi Westlake areas in Vietnam called the Song Hong River delta. In olden days, flooded rice paddies and ponds functioned as stages for these performances. Water puppetry is typically done in a building that houses a little pool built expressly with this particular goal, together with a backdrop, light and seats for the audience, now. The puppeteers control the puppets using long bamboo rods and cord mechanisms concealed beneath the water surface. The puppets are carved from wood and regularly weigh up to about 33 lbs (15 kg). A classical Vietnamese orchestra plays background music and supplies sound effects for the show. While water puppet shows are available throughout Vietnam, it's understood to have originated within the North and also the Thang Long theater troupe in Hanoi is among the celebrated. DEN NGOC SON This temple is found on a tiny isle in Hoan Kiem Lake, surrounded by an abundance of leafy green plant life and panoramic views. Built during the nineteenth century, this shrine was meant to honor literature and intellectual pursuits. Committed to 13th-century military hero Tran Hung Dao, the literary scholar Van Xuong, and also to Confucian master Nguyen Van Sieu, who himself had a large pen-shaped tower (Thap But) built in the entrance to the temple. HOAN KIEM LAKE Hoan Kiem Lake remains a fundamental point in Hanoi's culture, societal life, and is just one of the most enchanting places in town. The lake events as a assembly stage and performance area during significant festivals like Tet and for holidays like National Day, but it's also a relaxing lunchtime escape or evening rendezvous for friends and lovers. After a decade of constant battle, the emperor ultimately conquered the enemy and reclaimed Vietnam's independence. One day, while he was sailing on Luc Thuy Lake, a big turtle appeared, and it instantly caught hold of it with its mouth and submerged, as Ly Thai To drew his sword to point out the creature. The emperor realized later the gods have only given the sword to him to drive away the enemy, and because Vietnam was now free, the sword should be returned. The legend may owe some of its worldwide popularity to the turtles still living in the lake. The species, called Rafetus swimhoei, are a town favourite -- some approximation they are the largest freshwater turtles on world, but nobody knows for certain. Ngoc Son temple's chief hallway houses a 6-ft-long filled turtle that locals pulled from Hoan Kiem Lake in 1968. OLD QUARTER Strolling in this part of town combines sightseeing and seeking various products. With over a thousand years of history, this district remains among the most interesting and intriguing for visitors. The Old Quarter contains an array of shops with the normal -- home requirements, shoes, CDs, DVDs, clothes, mementos, handbags and luggage, jewelry, enamelware, pictures, handmade crafts, etc. More fascinating things can be seen in the shops on whole roads dedicated to your form of product or service, such as tombstone engraving, water puppets, silk sleeping bag liners, ao dai (traditional Vietnamese gown for women), flags, religious offerings and herbal medications.