Bang

(June 9th, 9:40 am)

Beep...Beep...Beep.

Letting out a low groan I gradually woke up to an unusual repetitive beeping sound I initially assumed was my alarm clock. But as I slowly came to my senses I noticed something was wrapped around my face blowing air into my nostrils. Struggling to open my eyes, I battled with the sunlight that profusely shined through the window shades.

Once my vision came into focus I looked around and found myself surrounded with flowers, scriptures, and "get well" cards. I soon realized that I was in a hospital room. Yet, I was confused to why I was here in the first place.

I grew incredibly uncomfortable with how dry my throat was and began to look for something to drink. Soon enough, my eyes landed on a bottle of water that was placed on a counter to the left of me. But my entire left arm was numb from injected needles connected to pints of blood and ivy. So I tried turning over to reach with my right hand but instantly a sharp pain pounded throughout my head.

Resting my hand on my forehead, I noticed my head was wrapped with gauze covering a healing wound. Taking precaution I tried once more but it only led to more pain forcing me to accept the fact that there was no point in trying.

Hopeless I lied on my back staring at the ceiling, weak and desperate for help. On the corner of my eye, I spotted a red light shining which turned out to be the nurse's aid button. Pushing with all my strength, I prayed for someone to come.

Eventually, the door opened and a male doctor followed by two female nurses rushed over to my bedside. Immediately, the male doctor ran a couple tests on me as the two nurses recorded the information he said aloud.
After about 20 minutes of changing my bandages and recording additional information on my progress; he informed me that it would be a while before I could actually drink water, as he sprayed a liquid substance into my mouth to subside the discomfort.

As the two female nurses checked my blood pressure and heart rate. With a concerned look, the tan blue-eyed brunette nurse placed her hand over mine and asked.

"How ya' feeling hun ?"

Attempting to reply I was unable to verbally respond due to how raspy my voice became. Nodding her head she then proceeded to say. "Well I know this may be a lot for you to handle, but you've woken up from a 3-week coma. And although we did encounter a bit of a struggle get you to wake up, your current state shows us you're recovery is steering into the right direction. But we have to keep a close eye on you to make sure it stays that way."

Shocked, I felt my heart sink into my stomach. Her expression quickly changed once she noticed my immediate reaction to the news. "But try not to worry too much, the last thing you need right now is stress. We're just going make sure your recovery is smooth as possible. And before you know it you'll be ready to go home!" Despite her effort to lighten the mood, I was more concerned about trying to figure out what happened.

"Hun, are you alright?"

I slowly nodded yes, as she rubbed her thumb against the back of my hand reassuring me everything would be fine. After a few more minutes, my family was finally given permission to come in. Mommy came running into the room with open arms as she gently held onto my weak body. "My Baby! Oh, You're awake! Oh, my baby's awake! I love you so much!" She said as tears began to form in her eyes. Too weak to hug her back, I simply nodded my head yes as a flood of tears ran down my cheeks. Backing up from her hug, she held both sides of my face in the warm palm of her hands as she tried to fight back her tears. Wrapping her arms around me once more,  she looked up to the ceiling whispering "Thank You, Jesus!" Resting my head on her shoulder I looked over to my right to look at Papi. There he was, on his knees quietly sobbing with his face buried into the bed sheets as his hand rested on my knee. Soon enough he looked up at me as he grabbed a hold of my hand kissing the back of it. For a moment he looked at me and began to chuckle as I smiled. His bloodshot eyes continued to pour out tears as he proceeded to say. "My baby girl is a fighter, even when they lost hope in you I knew you weren't going to give up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(June 13th, 11:02 a.m)

Within the first couple of days being awake, doctors told me not only did I wake up from a 3-week coma. But my heart had stopped at one point. Sleep became nearly impossible because every night consisted of up walking up in cold-sweat. Each dream I had ended with me staring directly into the barrel of a magnum, and waking up immediately after the gun's trigger was pulled. Eventually, my dreams began to aline with the information cops brought to me in the process of them searching for the person who did this to me. But as I spent more time in the hospital I grew sick of everyone. Unfortunately, I had to stay longer than intended. Which gave Detective Clark just enough time to continue his never-ending interrogations...

"Are you sure that's all you remembered Ms. Boyd ?" He asked again.

"Oh yeah!" I replied widening my eyes.

"What is it Ms.Boyd?" Detective Clark asked as he leaned in closer intrigued.

"I...I forgot to tell you that I was in a coma for 3-weeks...OH, and it was nearly impossible for the doctors to safely remove a .357 Magnum bullet just inches away from my spin nearly paralyzing me!"

Annoyed Detective Clark clicked his pen as his thumb pressed tightly against its side.

"Oh, my bad...you probably also wanted to know if I took a shit or pissed this morning too," I said crossing my arms over my chest as I flashed a fake smile.

Just as Detective Clark opened his mouth to respond Bianca abruptly came in holding a beige tray with two tin covers. "Elaina I have your lunch!" she gritted her teeth as she widened her eyes, making it clear that she wanted me to shut up. Turning her attention to Detective Clark she gave her most fake yet sincere smile. "Detective Clark, I'm sorry but it's time for Elaina to eat." Getting up clearly annoyed he nodded his head as he walked over to the door. Turning around his brown eyes glared at me one last time as he walked out the room slamming the door behind him.

Quickly turning her head back to me, Bianca raised her eyebrows and yelled: "What the Hell Elaina!" Pressing my index finger up against my lips I motioned to her to bring her voice down. She kissed her teeth as she continued, "You know that you were talking to someone who is trying to
HELP you, Right?!"

Rolling my eyes I replied.

"Yea I know, but I'm just tired of being in this hospital and having the same questions being asked over and over again."

"They're just trying to see if you can remember anything else to figure out who did this to you."

Looking outside the window my eyes began to water as I debated whether or not to come clean, and tell Bianca about what I remembered from the night I got shot.

All Rights Reserved By, Sincerely_MyTruth©